AEM Engine Management!

tailslide

i've been doin my own research on this topic as well. seems at the moment, hondata is the ultimate answer to programming all the stock capabilities of the ecu. but i was also looking at other functions such as traction and launch control. motec has it, so does a few other aftermarket ecus. this is becoming standard software in most applications.

i realized that in comparison with other aftermarket programmeable ecus, hondata has not gone too far ahead in terms of such technology. however, it does remain the most reliable and user friendly aftermarket option available at the moment for the K series engines. i'm kinda hoping that another version of the hondata with the goodies i've mentioned would come out soon. the only thing that is pulling my votes to hondata is that they offer the 3D mapping and programmeability for the VTC which again, most other aftermarket ecus are unable to cope with.

why can't someone come up with something more "perfect"? :?

tailslide

From what i understand, the Kpro's launch control is based on simply reprogramming a lower rev cut from the stock 5500 rpm limit in free gear set on the stock ecu and not exactly "traction sensing" sort of a launch control.

jakan

We only use AEM and it has all the features mentioned and more. The processor can run a 10cyl engine to 20,000rpm (Any guesses as to where this ECU comes from? Yep straight outta F1. Someone else actualy makes them for AEM.)

For a demonstration just pop in and we'll show you.

Regards

Dan Turner

T666YPR

I couldn't find any info on base maps for the JDM DC5 Type R when I went off searching for info on the AEM.

Have you done any AEM ecus for a DC5 yet?

If so what sort of results were you getting?

Thanks

Simon

tailslide

am i right to say that the AEM unit would disable the VTC? don't think there's an aftermarket ecu other than hondata at the moment that can control VTC.

jakan

You'd be quite wrong tailslide..... The AEM does everything Hondata can/does and a few more things too.

Yet to fit one to a DC5. We have one in stock £1,000 inc VAT

On an S2000 we picked up 40bhp at 6,000rpm just from moving the Inlet cam timing...... This is due to emmision concious mapping. Take the emissions problem out of the equation and you get a load more torque!

tailslide

i'm surprised. even motec/ autronic doesn't have the ability to tap into the VTC control module and run the car without major rewiring or disabling the VTC. i'd like to know if the AEM can do otherwise when u hook it up on a K20A i-vtec engine. keep us posted dan. :wink:

Evs

Advanced Member
Dan,

Quite tempted by the AEM ECU you've got in stock. Can you comment on the issues with air-con, temp gauge and lights referred to in Simon's links please? Not keen to spend a grand and then have problems like that...

Thanks
Evs

JT

Where does the Mugen N1 ECU stand in all this competition? It's fairly popular here in Singapore.. well, actually, it's the only ECU I know besides FCON VPRO that any EP3 or DC5 owners here have explored. The reviews on the FCON isn't great (could be the tuner), but the N1 mugen ECU seems to be da shit so far.

tailslide

mugen still produces one of the finest, literal "bolt on" ecu u can find for the DC5. however, being a bolt on, the ecu has its limitations. it may be great for simple bolt on mods, but slap on a set of wild cams or do some major works to ur engine, then u'll still want a fully programmeable ecu to keep up with ur mods.

there are plenty of other alternatives if you look around. even in sg, u'll find enough sources to help you out if u keep ur eyes peeled. PM me with your contact if u need to know anything else. i'm based in sg too. :wink: