AEM long arm/injen CAI

logik

Advanced Member
AEM not have problems with water suction? Not great for Irish or English roads.

Yella Fella

Nismo Wannabe
a bit confused then as was talking to Tom at TGM about getting the AEM long arm fitted, he mentioned about needing to replace the washer bottle etc

so the V2 is better in terms of thats it, just the arm needs fitting?

been looking at some on the for sale forums. Really cant afford the gruppeM so gonna go for the this long arm variant. If i was to choose, which will be better then. The long arm AEM is different from the V2 just to clarify...? thanks.

logik

Advanced Member
Yeah i am talking about the V2 myself. I am nearly 100% certain that the AEM V2 has issues with water suction on our roads and this is the reason many people steer clear of it.

Did Tom mention this to you?

Yella Fella

Nismo Wannabe
sorry i was referring to the difference between AEM long arm and AEM V2.

Tom just said, who's daft enough to drive into a puddle. Besides, i dont do much country lane driving, the roads i drive around in Milton Keynes are main roads, really can't see rain splash on the road giving my hydro locking issues (touch wood!). Just gonna stay away from major flooded areas lol

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
The V2 sits in the engine bay, the CAI sits in the front bumber by the nearside wheel arch. IIRC you have to relocate to washer bottle with the CAI but I'm sure that a relocation kit is provided. The V2 is plug and play.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Yella Fella said:
sorry i was referring to the difference between AEM long arm and AEM V2.

Tom just said, who's daft enough to drive into a puddle. Besides, i dont do much country lane driving, the roads i drive around in Milton Keynes are main roads, really can't see rain splash on the road giving my hydro locking issues (touch wood!). Just gonna stay away from major flooded areas lol
Plenty of people have had issues with the CAI mate. Couple ended up needing an engine rebuild. Plenty of posts on here, CTRO and TRO about it.

Yella Fella

Nismo Wannabe
hey chris, yeah i saw those posts, im just gonna have to plan my journeys and that a bit more; or get one of those filter glove things off funky power

logik

Advanced Member
MilanoChris said:
The V2 sits in the engine bay, the CAI sits in the front bumber by the nearside wheel arch. IIRC you have to relocate to washer bottle with the CAI but I'm sure that a relocation kit is provided. The V2 is plug and play.
Does the V2 not hook around and slip down behind the location of the standard OEM box?

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
logik said:
MilanoChris said:
Does the V2 not hook around and slip down behind the location of the standard OEM box?
Yes but it's still in the engine bay as opposed to the wheel arch/bumper area! :lol:

logik

Advanced Member
So it should be technically safe to use the AEM V2 on our roads?

Anyone used it with good results?

giandc5

Advanced Member
The injen comes with a modified washer bottle.

I find mine quiet until it hits 4500 rpm whereas I found the aem on my s2000 noticable at low & high revs which I preferred. Dont know if this is the case with the dc5.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
logik said:

Yes it's fine to run but the filter still sits relatively near the manifold so will suffer from heat soak in slow traffic.

logik

Advanced Member
MilanoChris said:
logik said:

Yes it's fine to run but the filter still sits relatively near the manifold so will suffer from heat soak in slow traffic.
Agreed but it should offer better performance when compared to the standard box no?

mikegsi

Staff member
logik said:
MilanoChris said:
logik said:

Agreed but it should offer better performance when compared to the standard box no?

no, it may feel faster due to the noise, but as the temp rises it will affect performance

i had injen cai kit on dc5 and aem one on ep3 for almost 2yrs with no problems, imo its the next best thing to the gruppem, you can get hydrolock's for the cai kits which help, but for water to get sucked up to the extent it does damage it'd have to be sitting in a few inches of water!

Yella Fella

Nismo Wannabe
not sure what tom is referring too... cos he mentioned an AEM long arm but will have to change the washer bottle, kit was priced around 190, but i think i rather have a CAI equivalent.

can you use something like a 5zigen air scoop to aid or the AEM's located elsewhere?

still not sure where abouts a CAI will sit, is it literally under the passenger side light, more closer to say the brake ducts are? anyone got pics? :D

i think i rather have the CAI equivalents to see what gains i can archieve, dont want heat soak and i dont want to pay the gruppeM price currently.

logik

Advanced Member
With the AEM you shouldnt need to move anything in the engine bay. It is a plug and play system. I have just got a quote of 340 euro for one fitted.

mikegsi

Staff member
with the injen cai kit you need to modify the battery tray and are supplied with a replacement slightly smaller washer reservoir.

as for the aem one, you used to have to relocate the washer bottle but they started supplying a replacement one too....

only issue is the water bottle comes with two holes for pumps, one for rear and one for front, not all tegs have rear wipers so you'd need to blank one of them with a gromit and sealant

i dont know if you have to do anything to the battery tray with the aem kit as i never had one for the teg

logik

Advanced Member
Hmm i was under the impression that the AEM V2 was a direct replacement and nothing had to be moved around in the engine bay.