Aftermarket exhaust manifold and sooty bumper?

ChrisMcC

Hello Guys,
I wanted to ask anyone who has replaced the OEM exhaust manifold with an aftermarket piece (that also removes the catalytic converter), are you now getting any significant soot build up on your bumper as a result?

I currently have on my car:

K100
Tegiwa Carbon Intake
RBC inlet manifold

Stock Exhaust manifold and stock catback system.

I am considering the Tegiwa exhaust manifold as the gains should be very good with the current modifications (coupled with a tweak to the map of course), but do not want to be having the clean the rear end after every drive. I had a sooty DC2 and it drove me a bit mad to be honest.

My other option is to go for a complete catback and leave the OEM header in place - are there good gains to be had doing this?

Many thanks for your knowledge, Chris.

donzooo

Advanced Member
Depends how close to bumper / how far the tail piece sticks out.

Yes it will produce more soot out the rear end than usual.

Better gains to be had with a manifold mate, particularly with an aftermarket B-pipe.

donzooo

Advanced Member
Just keep the car clean and wax it so that even if it does get a little sooty it's easy to clean off.

ChrisMcC

Thanks Guys.

Donald do you use an aftermarket manifold and are you finding some deposits on your car more at the bumper side since fitting? How many miles would it take to start actually being noticeable, where the colour of the bumper starts to go off, say from 6 feet away? I realise that's wholly unscientific of course, just trying to get a rough gauge ;) I really dislike see'ing old DC2's that way as mine started to go.

And agreed re:Wax, it's never without ;)

And thanks Liam, food for thought.
Chris.

donzooo

Advanced Member
C&S Evo7 said:
if its mapped properly, it shouldnt make any difference,
Good point. The majority of dc2s with aftermarket manifolds aren't mapped.

And no I don't have one on yet, I will be fitting mine next weekend though :)

Rom

Advanced Member
You shouldnt notice a change. I havent with mine.

Brake dust is worse than soot ;)