Aftermarket Final Drive Acceleration....

Mark_teg

Staff member
Facelift has same ratios and FD.

FD2 gets 5.1 final drive and different ratios

blueguy

Resident J's whore
i know what you mean dont get me wrong but that means that you dont get the full potential of the engine, just the power that you can put down to the road! i would agree with having more sticky tyres and getting the full potential rather than having to throttle control.
I think you're mistaking the teg for a car with drag car capabilities. I can't think of any sports car that wouldn't wheel spin in 1st on the road if you gave it full throttle (non launch control assisted). If my presumption is right that you have an NA teg, how on earth you are wheel spinning in 2nd (in the dry I am also assuming) is beyond me - cold/ bad tyres is the only guess I can come up with.

I of course agree that it's easier to wheel spin a stationary teg with a 5.1FD, that's obvious. However it is not at all hard to manage and especially not a problem.

martinj46

Advanced Member
Standard tyre size is 215/45 as Coyote says.

What's your RPM at 60 and 70mph?? (Ignore GPS, I'm talking clocks)

Yeah thats the size I meant, my head is getting confused with the tyres on my last car :xdisguest:

Going off the clocks then at 60mph it's doing 3100rpm, and 70mph 3500rpm, so seems that it's all standard

skunk2_dc5

Advanced Member
I think you're mistaking the teg for a car with drag car capabilities. I can't think of any sports car that wouldn't wheel spin in 1st on the road if you gave it full throttle (non launch control assisted). If my presumption is right that you have an NA teg, how on earth you are wheel spinning in 2nd (in the dry I am also assuming) is beyond me - cold/ bad tyres is the only guess I can come up with.

I of course agree that it's easier to wheel spin a stationary teg with a 5.1FD, that's obvious. However it is not at all hard to manage and especially not a problem.
im coming from my own experience thats why I'm arguing about this! im having problems with 1st gear traction, granted it does push around 240bhp but ive also got 225 tyres and traction is still a problem for me! im running yokohama C.Drives for the moment but im going to move over to some stickier tyres! and when i say traction problems im talking about just putting my foot down in 1st gear while rolling not launching :unsure:

I'm not arguing just for the sake of it its just that i was considering the 5.1FD myself but i was cracking my head to find a way to overcome this traction issue i already have with OEM FD.

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
Check geo as it could be something like that. I use Eagle f1's and have 260hp and in dry it will plant; granted still requires a little throttle control and not just 0 -> 100%.

rascal69

Advanced Member
I have federal rsr's 215/45/17
On track with 5.46 i never once managed to wheel spin not even coming out the hairpin in 2nd.
In the wet sure i can be silly if i wanted. Mostly cause of tyres i can spin upto 4th if really wet.
I would rather not lol

skunk2_dc5

Advanced Member
Check geo as it could be something like that. I use Eagle f1's and have 260hp and in dry it will plant; granted still requires a little throttle control and not just 0 -> 100%.
ive got half degree negative camber on the fronts tbh but dont think thats reason enough, i think my next step should be tyres, but dont want to go for slicks or semi slick cause i dont want to damage anything gearbox wise

hondazzz

Advanced Member
Cant see the video as i am at work, but i thought this applied for the facelift RSX(they also changed engine) and not our JDM models... interesting..

Kinli

Advanced Member
The Facelift DC5's have got different 4-6 ratios and the same final drive as a Pre-facelift.
Don't think so.

DC5 & EP3 (JDM) Prefacelift & facelift has the same ratios.
EP3 (EDM) has different 4-5-6.
FD2 has different final drive etc.

raz786

Advanced Member
Don't think so.

DC5 & EP3 (JDM) Prefacelift & facelift has the same ratios.
EP3 (EDM) has different 4-5-6.
FD2 has different final drive etc.
Agreed, have not heard of the facelift having different gear ratios before this, and there have been a few topics before listing the differences between the two :s

Mark_teg

Staff member
EP3s have a lower rev limit too, 8200 iirc, so would require shifting earlier than a DC5..

Mark_teg

Staff member
A stock ep3 rev limit is about 7950rpm. But the dial does go over 8k
I'm pretty sure you're wrong kinli. But it's definitely lower than JDM cars and the rev counter isn't 100% accurate, I'll agree with that.
Are we talking about the same car - European civic type-r ?..

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member

bearing in mind ep3 has longer 5th and 6th but its irrelevant for this vid i found

does show acceleration though, although changing in to 3rd at 50mph does appeal to me ( that could be due to traction issues though)
Christ that is close :/

Chris-DC5

Advanced Member
Kinli how can you say the ratios are the same when in the video it says ans shows they are different.

I will get to the bottom of this.