Aftermarket Final Drive Acceleration....

Kinli

Advanced Member
Kinli how can you say the ratios are the same when in the video it says ans shows they are different.
Can you point out exactly where they say and show the ratio difference (eg. numbers / gear ratios etc)?

Apart from a ancient bmi clip, do you have any other links to facts about the gear ratios?

I will get to the bottom of this.
Please do.

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Just my comment:

Changing the final drive should surely be primarily for track over anything else. It may not add much benefit 0-60 if any with an extra gear change in between but your never going to be launching from stationary more than once on a track (unless of course you hit the gravel :p)

Better final drive should be all about maximum torque/power on exiting corners. On a standard box you may be maxing out in 3rd on a bend but not getting optimum pull on exit in 4th which is where this mod is really going to improve your lap times. You could also argue that a correctly set up track car will probably require different ratios/final drive for each track. 5.1 for example may actually be better on some tracks than 5.46. Closer doesn't always necessarily mean better.

I'll hold my hands up now and say I have no real life track experience but in terms of driving simulators (forza & GT5 I know I know :p) if you shorten down the final drive too much you'll do slower times and it will be a different FD for each track dependant on the corners mainly. It's just a game but there's definately truth in that!!

rascal69

Advanced Member
5.46 still hits 150 mph on the clock.
Not many tracks you will hit that on.

Testing on private road

davidpingu

Advanced Member
What's the top end on a standard FD then?

It's not so much about hitting the top end limiter I'd be worried about, more the revs on the exit of corners in chosen gear. As said though it depends on the track. Mine does daily motorway miles so doesn't interest me :)

rascal69

Advanced Member
What's the top end on a standard FD then?

It's not so much about hitting the top end limiter I'd be worried about, more the revs on the exit of corners in chosen gear. As said though it depends on the track. Mine does daily motorway miles so doesn't interest me :)
I found it good on knockhill.
I wasnt dropping put of power band much at all when i was pushing it