Aftermarket fuel rails

davidpingu

Advanced Member
I've not managed to find much info on these so would be interested to get people's thoughts. I know there isn't a performance enhancement and it's purely for bling factor unless you're running big power but are many of you running them?

I've noticed they don't normally have the regulator part integral to the rail like oem and I've heard it mentioned they can cause jerkiness. Does fitting the gauge make a difference or should you run a seperate regulator like the one AEM do for the same smooth fuel delivery the oem rail gives?

Justintian

Advanced Member
I use to have a ek4 with bigger injector and aftermarket rail, I upgraded the regulator to maintain a different fuel pressure. Never tried on dc5, but I would image if you only change the rail not injector, you should be ok with oem FPR?

davidpingu

Advanced Member
So where is the regulator on the dc5? I always thought it was the black circular thing on the centre of the oem fuel rail?

If it isn't that then my question is what exactly is the black circular thing because all the aftermarket rails I've seen don't have one and it made me wonder if that was the reason people have mentioned the jerkiness. It must serve some sort of purpose?

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Thanks JT's, I looked at the pdf fitting instructions in your attached link which helped a little.

I think I'm right in saying the k-tuned rail is different to others in that it has that fitment option. I also came across this thread which was quite helpful if anyone else happens to be interested :

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=326505

Justintian

Advanced Member
Glad I can help even a little, and if you look at hybrid racing, they also have the feature of fitting FPR on the end of rail or in the return pipe. You cannot run without it as mentioned in the link you posted, which may drain the fuel in the rail under sudden accelerations.

jpstyper

Advanced Member
From what I remember reading somewhere the fuel pressure regulator is in the tank on the fuel filter I think

Alexander0628

Advanced Member

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Interesting read. But I've heard that you don't need to run one? But, if Honda put one on in the first place then surely the car needs one?

I have a HR fuel rail with a centre feed but I might put the feed on the right hand (OEM) side and put the regulator in the middle.

Honda-atr

Advanced Member
The DC5 has a regulator build in the pump in the tank.
Because the DC5 doesn't have a return line a regulator is pretty useless.

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Honda-atr said:
The DC5 has a regulator build in the pump in the tank.
Because the DC5 doesn't have a return line a regulator is pretty useless.
Yeah I've seen it but it is really small. Surely it would do something though?

Honda-atr

Advanced Member
WJ51FUT (Gok) said:
Yeah I've seen it but it is really small. Surely it would do something though?
Yes it regulates the fuel pressure.
I changed my fuel system and altered the stock regulator (removed the membrane and spring) and in combination with a return line and a aftermarket fuel pressure regulator I can adjust the fuel pressure. Without altering the stock regulator you are always limited by the fuel pressure that is produced by the standard regulator.

wj51fut

Advanced Member
So on a standard-ish car you would say it needs one? Or an uprated version? Better to have one than not?

Honda-atr

Advanced Member
On a standard car you don't need an aftermarket one. The stock one is fine.
I changed mine because I placed a turbo on the car ;).

big-pete

Advanced Member
sorry to up this,

if i buy a Hybrid racing or aftermarket fuel rail do i need to get the car remaped? id be doing it purely for bling factor.