aftermarket springs with oem struts question

dyzzl3

hi, I see the norm here is putting aftermarket springs (usually eibach) with their stock shocks. wouldnt this blow the shocks? in clubrsx, people mostly recommend coilovers or aftermarket springs+shocks. what are everyone's experiences? thanks.

rascal69

Advanced Member
Should work just fine tbh. Never heard of any horror storys with eibach springs on oem shocks.
A great improvement. I really do rate the eibach sorings i would have them but they sit to high for my liking.

53 Teegwa

Advanced Member
Im running Eibach Sportlines with OEM shocks and have no issues at all with them.

Sits wuite nicely also

leejw87

Spoon Whore
You would need to be running silly low for springs to cause damage to the shocks.

lockwood77

Advanced Member
Your dampers will have a shorter lifespan, particularly as the rear dampers are very short on a DC5. You are making them work at a higher frequency than they were designed for (generating additional heat) and I guarantee they will fail quicker than running OEM springs. That might still be several tens of thousands of miles of course, but it will happen. Spoon progressives certainly killed my OEM dampers sooner than I would have expected (somewhere around 50-55k IIRC).

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
they will have a reduced lifespan with a shorted spring but i doubt it would be measurable. the type r has a shorter stiffer damper and spring combo than the rsx anyway so will last longer than the rsx damper for sure,.

Grov

Banned
Should work just fine tbh. Never heard of any horror storys with eibach springs on oem shocks.
A great improvement. I really do rate the eibach sorings i would have them but they sit to high for my liking.
There are 2 types AFAIK, one's that drop the front/rear 20/25 and another set that drops it more like 40-50mm.