Aftermarket strut braces?

mike.williams

Advanced Member
Do aftermarket strut braces front and rear actually make a difference to cornering performance?

I ask because the chassis is braced up from the factory even if they are thinner than aftermarket ones.

Im trying to justify some j's racings ones ha

Cheers

Mike

eg9_dc2

Advanced Member
have you noticed on the dc5 the strut doesnt connect the front legs via a strut? there is a strut to the chassis but it doesnt link the 2 front legs together....

common sense would tell me linking them with a strut would be ideal.....like the dc2 :p lol.

how far would you guys go..rear boot strut, and front top mount strut...but what about front underengine struts n stuff...?

TypeRiter

Advanced Member
Nope - Placebo IMO. Specially the brackets on the J's - they're offset, so the bar's not exactly point to point - or strut to strut, so to speak... Whether you'll feel the difference between a J's and another brace, or a brace and no brace is moot, but if you're trying to justify the cost; I wouldn't say that you're likely to proportionally gain.

Look great though. I'll be getting something, of some kind soon :)

Disclaimer/Disflamer: That's not to say they don't work - I've had loads, just never felt the difference on a fair few suspension set-ups.. springs/OEM/Coilovers @ various heights, driven under various conditions.

blueguy

Resident J's whore
Specially the brackets on the J's - they're offset, so the bar's not exactly point to point - or strut to strut, so to speak...
Not sure what you mean by this Sun. Are you mixing up their ep3 strut design or am I just being a div?

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
the oem brace is about as good as you will get as it ties the strut towers to each other and the bulkhead, most others just tie the strut towers together, you will notice that most of the aftermarket braces are almost identical in their makeup as they are mostly made in the same chinese factory.

mike.williams

Advanced Member
the oem brace is about as good as you will get as it ties the strut towers to each other and the bulkhead, most others just tie the strut towers together, you will notice that most of the aftermarket braces are almost identical in their makeup as they are mostly made in the same chinese factory.
i see what your saying, am i right in thinking i have seen an aftermarket strut that joins to the bulkhead?

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
there are a few, carbing is one, i think sustec do one too , both pretty rare,

wj51fut

Advanced Member
I've got a Mugen rear strut brace and it makes such a big difference. It's a chunky ol' bar too. Took it out once to clean it. By the time I had finished it was dark! So put it back in a couple of days later. Just need a matching front one now...