Aftermarket wheel nuts - taperpro?

Tim J

Advanced Member
I've searched and found that the correct size for aftermarket wheel nuts are this size;

corbie said:
For anybody interested the size is

M12 x 1.5 thread size, radius seat (R12), 29.9 mm total length and a 19 mm hex size

Corbie
Has anybody used Taperpro before? - I've heard mixed reviews about the Ultralite ones and so was weighing up the possibility of these cold forged alu ones.

http://www.taperpro.co.uk/fn_nutz.html

Unfortunately, they don't do the 30mm lengths, only 45mm.

Also, are the 60 degree angles correct or do the DC5's require a 45 degree taper?

Any comments would be welcome.

Cheers

Tim

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
they are NOT suitable for use with the oem wheels as the oem's have a radiused seat compared to a straight taper seat on most aftermarket wheels.. they will not fit correctly and could come loose

Tim J

Advanced Member
Hi Si,

Thanks for the reply.

reviewing my original reply, it appears that I omitted ( :roll: ) that I intend to use these for a set of Rota's that I've purchased so as these nuts are not suitable for OEM, I assume that they will be ok for aftermarket wheels?

Thanks

Tim

The One

A question for everyone and I emplore you to seek the truth.

Why are after market companies selling wheel nuts with the incorrect fitting for the oem wheels??? I recently bought a set of J's racing wheel nuts, nice and light and look good and all that and using them on my DC5R oem wheels. Nobody told me they didn't fit correctly. Why don't they or the companies that sell them say that they are only suitable for certain type of wheels???? I think this should be addressed by the manufacturer of the wheels and the wheel nut manufacturer. Safety is paramount here and i think its in the hands of the manufacturers to point this out to people. Average Joe know's nothing about these sort of things and could end up in a serious fight with god and the devil about who's car is fastest!!!

A bit of simple clarity here is all that is needed.
Wheel maunfacturer say that this wheel is only suitable for certain wheel nuts (for eg. size A wheel nuts) and vise versa with the wheel nut manufacturers.

It seems like common sense to me and everyone I know so, why put peoples lives at risk by not informing them because maybe they think that if the customer is using our product then they know everything about it and how it works.

I guess its up to the person buying the nuts to know or find out what they want, although we and the mods/admins/members are more than helpfull,

If a manufacturer says 60 Deg Tapour,then its up to the buyer to know what he needs not up to the manufacturer to list every possible fitting and non fitting.

i.e.you but a 30mm mop handle from B&Q and it is what it says on the tin,,,it doesnt list the million brands of 30mm mop heads that it fits, and the 2 million that it doesnt fit. It just says the actual spec and you have to match it up.. :)

Buddyclub sell 60 deg. Cold Drop Forged Alloy Nuts that are stronger than std steel nuts, but Ultralite nuts are not forged they are Billet T7075 alloy,which is also quite strong (much better than T3036 like some cheeper alloy nuts) and also hard anodised which isnt possible on coloured nuts.

BuddyClub Forged are the Daddys if you ask me .(you might say,they are the NUTS 8)

Buddyclub also do a RACING BLACK version in SCM435 Chr-MolySteel, which will just about cut its own thread on a plain bar :xyes:
:lol: racers only folks, these are meant to run dry due to constant on-off and brake dust /contaminants of race cars.(i.e.No grease required)
I would reccomend you call someone who knows about these things before you buy any nice looking nuts...?
Regards,
Paul,

Give Buddyclub a call 01772 299820.
or an Ultralite agent 01254 702888.

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
Just to be clear because everyone is just referring to "aftermarket" here does it mean "all" aftermarket wheels will accept a 60 degree taper lug or can aftermarket wheels also vary?

I have some aftermarket alloys which were on the car when it was SVA'ed but I'd like to get some new anodized nuts for them. After reading above it indicates that oem are the only strange wheel which won't allow you to safely change the oem nut without washers but any aftermarket alloy will.

Is there anything I can do to check my wheel so I can corectly source new nuts, or is it best to just take it somewhere for advise to be sure?

Coyote,
I would take them somewhere that can identify the lug tapour, if they are old wheels they might even be radius seat, lots of Enkei wheels are radius. so best to make sure. Tyre bays should be able to help but avoid the 17 year old in the baseball cap and oily face and go straight to the old bloke in the office :xyes:

Grov

Banned
Are there any wheels nuts with locking nut, that do fit the OEM wheels, as i still a locking not, or just 4 simple locking nuts would do for me.

wj51fut

Advanced Member
I bought a set of Mugen septagonal wheel nuts in black. They are slightly longer than the OEM but look 10x better and are seven sided so locking wheel nut aswell!

Grov

Banned
wj51fut said:
I bought a set of Mugen septagonal wheel nuts in black. They are slightly longer than the OEM but look 10x better and are seven sided so locking wheel nut aswell!
How much were they mate, any pics?

wj51fut

Advanced Member
They were from Nengun. About £110 I think but took about 6-8 weeks to come!! My wheels are rather dirty at the moment but will try and get pics up soon.

jay82

Advanced Member
Grov said:
Are there any wheels nuts with locking nut, that do fit the OEM wheels, as i still a locking not, or just 4 simple locking nuts would do for me.
honda do lock nuts if there for standard wheels

Grov

Banned
jay82 said:
Grov said:
honda do lock nuts if there for standard wheels
Yeah but there the EP3 one's are they? I tried those when i had my EP3, and they are longer, and stick out and look daft.

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
Guess there dome then cause the ones I'm getting from you are 60 I'm sure and there not quite as angled.

If intersted I could take a picture on wed for you.

Dan, The ones i took off your car last week were domed radius seat.
:)
chrome finish and in good nick actually.