Aggro with TPS

ARCooke

Right guys basically my TPS is on its way out again, i think because ive got 85A engine mounts, Spoon collars and Ingalls engine damper; it eats them?
Ive heard of a TPS that is encased in gel to dampen engine vibrations but cant find one does anyone have any suggestions; because at the moment its like driving buckaroo.
:xfurious: haha

Rob.

Advanced Member
K Tuned do them but don't bother they are even worse, mine lasted about 60 mile !

Must be cheap sensor and they are only stuck inside an alloy shell not encased in gel like they claim

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
dont know why having engine mounts etc will cause the tps unit will fail, ive never heard of them failing because of that, and have std ones fitted to all TGM's race cars and they all run solid mounts etc.

Rob.

Advanced Member
I've heard of many K Swaped old civic an Teg's with solid mounts also having the TPS unit failing

Had 4 up to now !

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
i dont disbelieve you, ive just not heard of any problems i will ask Tom but im pretty sure we dont even carry one in the race box, which suggests we have never had a problem

Rob.

Advanced Member
Be good to know from Tom as I'm fed up with them packing in !

Last one actually left me stranded out on track as well :(

ARCooke

Ive had four go, three honda sensors so far and one of them left me stranded 200 miles away from home and had to get recovered.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
im kind of intrigued, by this, what sensors are they being replaced with? sensors specifically for a DC5? or some other Honda equivalent, ??

Rob.

Advanced Member
There is no specific sensor for a DC5 as I'm aware, same on all K20's...

2 OEM ones fail, one from Tegiwa which is where Tdi North gets there's from and a K Tuned which did about 70 mile !

ARCooke

The only way to get one through Honda is with a Brand new throttle body, but RDT.TV has previously supplied OEM ones. The seem to be lasting roughly 3,000 miles to my calculation, is there anyway of getting around this because so far the only joy ive had with them is when the one on my EP3 went i replaced it with a spoon 70mm and that is fine after 8,000 or so.

ARCooke

The symptoms are usually an unprevoked dip in revs or an inconsistancy at a certain throttle position in my experience its always about 30% throttle and then it just jerks and bounces itself silly.

Rob.

Advanced Member
^^^ Yeah about spot on that, or worse case engine cuts out !

Usually starts using a lot more fuel as well

ARCooke

Its an annoying hesatation sort of sensation, ive only known one of them cutting the engine but that was when my dad owned the car and stranded us 5 miles from snetterton at 7:00am and we didnt manage to get in until 22:00pm.

Although last week the my car went into Grinspeed for some supsension goodies to be fitted and afetrr the 100 mile trip up to drop the car off when i was showing the car to Stevie ( TOP BLOKE ) he noticed the pipe to the air intake was split in half. When i came to pick the car up i fitted a new pipe and the tell tale symptoms were there that the TPS was going but unlike normal when its a particular throttle position it was across every position on the pedal. After blipping the ECU it did slowly settle down, and its now only at about 30% throttle and quite mild.

Funnily enough i did 100 miles on a little more than a quater of a tank, but after blipping the ECU it went down to less than half a tank within 25 miles.

Even though its not that bad at the moment i was hoping to have a long term solution lined up, for when its starts getting worse again.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
I talked to Tom today about this, and he said he assumed they were failing as people had been calling him for second hand ones, BUT we have never had one fail on one of the TGM race cars, or any of the cars we have supported over the years. very strange.

Rob.

Advanced Member
Never fitted a 2nd hand one

Now have to carry a spare at all race events, it's the worst part of the car !

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
there must be something weird going on somewhere.

id like to see some duff ones if anyone has any ??

ARCooke

The first time one went we tried a second hand one to diagnose it but otherthan that they've always been brand new.
When this one decides to go i'll upload some pictures.
But when inspecting the previous ones its usually a strip across the honeycomb surphace thats causing the problems.