Air bag removal - How??

Paul G

Members
Can anyone tell me the best/safe way of removing both the air bags from the DC5..

Thks V much.

Paul.

j30l

Advanced Member
I've only taken out the divers side air bag.

Disconect the battery. A MUST
At the back of the steering wheel (either side) there is two plastic covers. Pull them off (You might need a flat blade screwdriver).
Behind them there is a bolt (10mm or might even be a torques bit). Undo them.
Gently pull the air bag out and you will see a yellow clip with wires going into it. Unplug. Jobs a good one.

Im guessing you will have to take the glove box out to get to the passenger side air bag. There will be 2-4 bolts holding it in and the same colored clip as you've got on the drivers side.

joel

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
When you remove the airbags the srs light will be on, I suspect it is already on in Pauls case as i can't imagine it still has seatbelts etc.

as above disconnect the battery and leave for 10 minutes to allow any residual voltage left in the trigger circuit to be totally gone, (I have removed a few and not always disconnected the battery with no ill effects) but all the manuals always say to do it.

steering wheel covers on the back couple of small bolts

passenger is a bit of an arse, glovebox and fan and other bits etc need to be removed as I think it has to come down not up

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
C&S Evo7 said:
passenger is a bit of an arse, glovebox and fan and other bits etc need to be removed as I think it has to come down not up
I've got a bloody annoying squeek comging from the top of the passenger airbag area. Can I get to it in the same way? If so I'll be doing this next week.

j30l

Advanced Member
C&S Evo7 said:
I have removed a few and not always disconnected the battery with no ill effects
Better safe than sorry. I wouldnt want an air back going off in my face with my fingers behind it. That could be very painfull :shock:

joel

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
chris the passenger one is a total arse to get out because of all the stuff in the way, but disconnect the battery and have a go.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
C&S Evo7 said:
chris the passenger one is a total arse to get out because of all the stuff in the way, but disconnect the battery and have a go.
Well I've got a week of work. I've worked in tighter spaces (comms kit in the back of tanks) so I reckon I should be able to manage it.

Paul G

Members
C&S Evo7 said:
When you remove the airbags the srs light will be on, I suspect it is already on in Pauls case as i can't imagine it still has seatbelts etc.

as above disconnect the battery and leave for 10 minutes to allow any residual voltage left in the trigger circuit to be totally gone, (I have removed a few and not always disconnected the battery with no ill effects) but all the manuals always say to do it.

steering wheel covers on the back couple of small bolts

Thks Simon, Yep my srs has been on for some time :wink:

Anyone, any idear of the weight of both air bags??

MJ Type-R

Advanced member
From memory Paul...

The wheel and the bits add upto around 7 kgs....

I'm assuming your getting a racing steering wheel ??

Anyway..... you have my number Paul... I've already removed all the bits.... and more

Mike