Air box

Allen

Advanced Member
I've only owned my DC5 for 4 weeks and whilst giving my engine bay a clean i noticed something wrong with my air box.
On the top of the box there is a pipe that is connected to the rocker cover.
The rocker cover end is ok but the end going to the air box has snapped off and is just resting on the side?!?!... :shock:
Does anyone know the importance of this?
A new top half of the box is over £60, dunno whether to get it fixed fast incase its there for a good reason, or wait and put the money towards the gruppe m i was gonna buy.
Any ideas? :idea:
Cheers

mikegsi

Staff member
not vastly important but there for a reason! the airbox is the same as a civic one, stick an ad in the wanted sections of the ctr/tro forum and you may get one, certainly for a lot less than £60!

its an oil breather pipe i believe

Allen

Advanced Member
ta mate, see what the situation is with the gruppe m, if not ill try get one.
Cheers gain

BadBadtz

Advanced Member
Not overly important. Just the rocker breather pipe.

I would just get some quality glue and fix it if the break is clean.

dazza

Advanced Member
Can you not just glue the part back on to the airbox?
At least it would get you by till you found a new one or second hand.
If you make a neat job and it doesn't show then you've saved some cash :wink: :D

Evs

Advanced Member
Replied on TRO, had missed this thread on here. Here's the reply in case anyone else on here is interested:

It's the breather pipe that feeds oil vapour back into the engine via the airbox. AFAIK it won't do any harm to the engine to have it venting into the atmosphere but it's a bit anti-social. Not sure about the legality of it but I wouldn't run it for any length of time like that tbh. You have a few options:

1. If the part of the airbox that's snapped off is still there (stuck in the end of the pipe) then try gluing it back on

2. Get an oil catch can and fit that instead

3. Get a filter and fit that instead

4. See if you can find a secondhand airbox FS or from a breaker, should be much less than £60 I'd have thought

5. Replace the airbox with an induction kit as you suggest

HTH? :)

Allen

Advanced Member
The bit snapped off aint there anymore, gonna see what i can do in the way of repair.
If not... got a reason to get induction sooner :D