air con, gear change, dam AEM!

linzi94

Advanced Member
well, not even a year after having my AEM CAI fitted, im going to take it off and throw it in the bin.

as i have mentioned before on this site, i not only have problems - altho not often - with getting in and out of 5th gear due to the intake pipe, but now thanks to AEM i have to buy a new air con hose.

working for honda and doing warranties all day long on civic condensors and discharge hoses means i know how much this could cost me.

the kit was fitted to my satisfaction. how was i to know this far along the line i would be getting baked inside my teg because of it?

i will post pics of the damage once ive ripped the blasted thing out.

Suped

Advanced Member
Sorry to hear that Linzi, had me fair share of air-con problems, spent £kks on 'now' a complete new system. Funny you mention it now, as I was going to go the AEM CAI route this week but after reading the longer term issue this has caused, the V2 is definately the choice now and suffer abit on the heat soak in traffic.

linzi94

Advanced Member
i take it no one else is having an AEM problem then?

its not like i can even sell the thing to contribute to a different kit, seeing as it now almost has a hole in after the filter :evil:

Archie

Advanced Member
Would have been better opting for a Gruppe M in the first place you would have been better £££ off

linzi94

Advanced Member
Archie said:
Would have been better opting for a Gruppe M in the first place you would have been better £££ off
it was a present from the boyfriend at the time, he got it as a surprise therefor i had no say in it. besides, i dont think he couldve stretched to gruppe m money lol!

P15UL T

Advanced Member
sorry to hear the probs you having linsey.

at least you may get a discount on the parts......

a small silver lining on the big rain cloud :(

benny

Advanced Member
make one your self, got a v2, just went down to smiths hire and bought some 2inch flexi piping, stuck it down the front and underneath the car, well stuck 2? one through the wheel arch, and then down, it does look abit :shock: but the performance on hot sunny days is just :D i aint getting no heat soak, you will also find wrapping your v2 in insulating material helps? you can get cheap rolls form b+q or focus, im more tha happy with what its produces know? and what its cost me no more than 30 quid?

mikegsi

Staff member
benny, i reckon you will still be getting heatsoak mate, just not as much!

as for the aem cai, i dont know why people buy these over the injen ones, the injen ones fit perfect, no rubbing on gear linkage or aircon, and come with a replacement washer reservoir unlike the aem!

sorry to hear about your troubles though

linzi94

Advanced Member
where can i get an Injen CAI and how much is it likely to cost?

im poor and cant afford a gruppe m :roll:

mikegsi

Staff member
keep your eye on here, they sometimes come up and second hand are around £140............

failing that spankers they are around £210-£230, i got mine from funkyproducts, but tom at tgm should be able to help

one pointer on the injen though, where it comes through the wheelarch, it will rub on the chassis, wrap it in this area with a decent thick cloth to prevent damage to the injen :wink:

mikegsi

Staff member
this is due to engine movement, however it causes no damage to the car, and was only found by accident, the cloth is there to protect the injen tubing, in the same way as im sure any pipe taking that route (aem included) will wear on the chassis, there are however no known issues with it rubbing on anything else, i had mine for around 9 months before taking it off and inspecting the tubing to find no marks :wink:

dan the man

Advanced Member
my ITG fits fine. Very close to the spoon brace but 2 aftermarket parts tho..standard brace miles away

benny

Advanced Member
2* 2inch pipes, 4*1 inch pipes i got so much air getting to my ram, you'd think i had no bonnet on?

mikegsi

Staff member
its not just the air getting to it though mate, its also the temp in the engine bay, on a warm day have you lifted the bonnet and felt the temp of the actual intake pipe?

thats where a lot of the heatsoak occurs, not just the temp of the air getting in through the filter

but if your happy mate then thats ok though! :D

benny

Advanced Member
thats why i wrapped it in heatsoak proof stuff( cant spell insultating :D ) loadsa of it, looks like loft lagging :D does seam to be doing the trick, think all these pipes(6) are cooling my engine down aswell haha, got stopped comin out of a car park, some guy saying you got a pipe hanging down, didnt have the heart to say its supposed to be there? and it was cable tied in?

mikegsi

Staff member
benny said:
thats why i wrapped it in heatsoak proof stuff( cant spell insultating :D ) loadsa of it, looks like loft lagging :D does seam to be doing the trick, think all these pipes(6) are cooling my engine down aswell haha, got stopped comin out of a car park, some guy saying you got a pipe hanging down, didnt have the heart to say its supposed to be there? and it was cable tied in?

:D