Air con query

firthy22

Advanced Member
Got my car back from the garage today after getting new O2 sensor fitted and oil change done with new Millers Nano oil and they told me that my air con pipes were disconnected and looked like they hadn't been connected for a long time, judging by the dirt on the threads.

Can't say I'd even noticed as heater works and demists fine.

Question is what do I do now ??

1) Leave as it is, as it hasn't caused any problems over past 2 years.

2) Reconnect pipes and get air con regassed but not a clue how much that would cost

3) Remove air con and pipes to save weight, not sure if it's worthwhile and would I be able to get a belt to fit with no air con pulley

CaLi

Vtec Yoooooooo
connect and re-gas nothing like the ice cold chill during the summer months :)

Saint Matt

Advanced Member
If you've been happy with then rip it all out mate (inc pump), saves 10kg or so. You'll need a new belt though

leejw87

Spoon Whore
Why was the pipes disconnected in the first place.. Bit of a random thing for someone to do?

Get it re-gased it's not that expensive. But make sure that whatever place you would choose to do the job is using R134a aircon gas and not a cheap solution like Butane.

Ideally should replace the receiver dryer too but I wouldn't worry about that too much.

firthy22

Advanced Member
Well good news is that the engine light no longer comes on and the Millers nano oil does seem to make the engine a little smoother and quieter, probably Placebo effect but either way I'll be using it again, nothing but the best for my baby.

Does anyone know what belt will be needed if I bypasss the aircon unit. If I can find a belt to fit I will probably remove the aircon unit and pipes but don't want to do that and then find I can't get a suitable belt for it.

poiu

Banned
the drier will be no use if the pipes have been disconnected for a long time, it will need replacing

leejw87

Spoon Whore
Why would you want to remove it if there's nothing wrong with it.

The pipes can easily be reconnected then regased.. Get a Reciever dryer and your aircon circuit will be as good as new.

Saint Matt

Advanced Member
Well good news is that the engine light no longer comes on and the Millers nano oil does seem to make the engine a little smoother and quieter, probably Placebo effect but either way I'll be using it again, nothing but the best for my baby.

Does anyone know what belt will be needed if I bypasss the aircon unit. If I can find a belt to fit I will probably remove the aircon unit and pipes but don't want to do that and then find I can't get a suitable belt for it.

You will be able to get a belt for it mate, it will be somewhere in the region of 6PK537 going off google (6 is the number of ridges, might be 7, can't remember), you can just tell that to any motor factors and they will be able to get you one or a similar length (537 is the length/circumference of the belt in mm), a few mm either way is fine.

HTH

Matt

skunk2_dc5

Advanced Member
You will be able to get a belt for it mate, it will be somewhere in the region of 6PK537 going off google (6 is the number of ridges, might be 7, can't remember), you can just tell that to any motor factors and they will be able to get you one or a similar length (537 is the length/circumference of the belt in mm), a few mm either way is fine.

HTH

Matt
awesomes! was looking for the belt size myself! removing the a/c next week! :)