Air Con - Total weight ???

Paul G

Members
Anyone removed the A/C from there DC5 that can tell me the total weight of all bits removed??

Thks :)

Paul.

mikegsi

Staff member
you might as well take it out of yours paul, it's not gonna be a road car again (at least not for a LONG time!!)

all extra bits that you dont need :D

Glitch

Advanced Member
Yeah im pritty sure it was around 15kg with the pump, rad and all the piping. The pump probly weighed 10kg on its own.

ollie-dc5

Advanced Member
I've had mine taken out. About 10 kilo's from what I can remember. The majority of that is the compressor weight. The rad weighs next to nothing, can be lifted with little finger and the dryer is only a kilo or two.

Paul G

Members
Thks for all yr replys :)

Not looked at it on the car as yet, but dose the belt that drives the compressor drive anything else, ie do you have to fit a shorter belt or just remove it...

Thks..

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
you need a shorter belt unless you have removed the power steering and alternator :wink:
can't remember the length of the top of my head tho sorry, give tom a call he might remember it.

I did not bother removing mine as i did not consider the weight advantage to be enough compared to the comfort advantage when out in the summer or rain, I always drove better if i was comfortable, even some of the WRC cars have it fitted as the benefit of having a comfortable driver outweighs the actual weight

for some reason the honda system does not seem to sap power like some other manufacturers when WOT, I dynoed with and without and there was no noticable difference (1 hp or something which could be many things)

Paul G

Members
C&S Evo7 said:
you need a shorter belt unless you have removed the power steering and alternator :wink:
can't remember the length of the top of my head tho sorry, give tom a call he might remember it.

I did not bother removing mine as i did not consider the weight advantage to be enough compared to the comfort advantage when out in the summer or rain, I always drove better if i was comfortable, even some of the WRC cars have it fitted as the benefit of having a comfortable driver outweighs the actual weight

for some reason the honda system does not seem to sap power like some other manufacturers when WOT, I dynoed with and without and there was no noticable difference (1 hp or something which could be many things)
Hummm, would be nice to be in a cool car :| only 1 or 2 hp & only 10-15kg's weight saving.......Hummm.

Do you thinks it's ok to run the AC at race rpm's, without doing it any harm?

THks.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
I'm pretty sure that the UK EP3 switches the AC off when WOT and I thought the DC5 did the same?

MJ Type-R

Advanced member
paul G said:
Hummm, would be nice to be in a cool car :| only 1 or 2 hp & only 10-15kg's weight saving.......Hummm.

Do you thinks it's ok to run the AC at race rpm's, without doing it any harm?

THks.

I thought you were the weight King Paul :wink: :wink:

Suffer like the rest of us...... if you keep the aircon.. your still have to keep all the heavy ventilation system :idea:

Mines all being removed... and replaced with a simple fan system.....

Mike

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
yes the rpm will be fine, what can it do? its designed to run at high rpm, and i beleive milano is right i remember something about it switching off at WOT

so it would activate when you were braking etc, probably even better like that as it only needs to work a bit when its hot outside instead of running all the time.

When you have a simple fan system (as the tgm racecars have) it is a royal pain in the rain as they are noisy and don't do a great job of clearing the screens, we still use rainex etc.
my car used to clear almost instantly