Air Conditioning Not Working

subtronics

Advanced Member
So, worst time of the year for it but my A/C is bust. I had it re-gassed earlier in the year and it worked well demisting the windows in the wet weather. But since it has got a bit warmer, it has given up the ghost. When I press the a/c button, the light comes on but I can hear a faint whirring sound echoing from the vents.

Anyone else's have same issue and is the system any good in the DC5? If its rubbish anyway I'll just pull it all out. Its only a couple of month's a year its used anyway. :)

**Although it would be nice at the moment**

Mark_teg

Staff member
Mine was ice cold as they should be, there's nothing wrong with the system design. You should use your AC all year round to keep the seals lubricated.
Have you looked at the condition of your condenser, maybe a stone has gone through it as there's minimal protection as standard. When regassing, the system should be vacuum tested for leaks but they're not always detected.

subtronics

Advanced Member
Yeah, I put it on once a week for half a trip or so to work. But its making this odd whistling noise. Wonder if your right and something has gone through the condenser and its pulling air into the system. Where is the condenser located?

Mark_teg

Staff member
Condenser is visible through the slats in the front bumper, in front of the radiator.

If there's a hole you'll simply lose the AC gas, a pressure switch will then prevent the compressor kicking in.
A little test for this, switch ignition on so your blowers work but don't start the engine (you'll need quiet). Put your windows down and press the AC switch on, off, on, off - you should hear a click from the engine bay; this will be your compressor clutch activating/deactivating.

subtronics

Advanced Member
RE Spirit said:
Are your vent blowers working?

From low to high setting?
Yeah, they work hot to cold and different speeds as normal. Its just the when you switch air con on, do you get a whistling noise coming through the vents.

Mark_teg said:
Condenser is visible through the slats in the front bumper, in front of the radiator.

If there's a hole you'll simply lose the AC gas, a pressure switch will then prevent the compressor kicking in.
A little test for this, switch ignition on so your blowers work but don't start the engine (you'll need quiet). Put your windows down and press the AC switch on, off, on, off - you should hear a click from the engine bay; this will be your compressor clutch activating/deactivating.
Just given that a try, and it kicks in and out. You can hear the compressor in motion. Just when in the car the vents don't blow cold air. It did when it was first re-gassed.

RE Spirit

Parts Trader
subtronics said:
Yeah, they work hot to cold and different speeds as normal. Its just the when you switch air con on, do you get a whistling noise coming through the vents.

Just given that a try, and it kicks in and out. You can hear the compressor in motion. Just when in the car the vents don't blow cold air. It did when it was first re-gassed.
Ah ok, thought it could be the vent blower fuse as my fuse blew on that transistor and then the speeds wasn't changing with the A/C stopped working at the same time. Just thought it could be that :)

Mark_teg

Staff member
subtronics said:

It should still have its gas then, enough anyway. Can you take it back to where you had it gassed, ask them to look at it.

subtronics

Advanced Member
Mark_teg said:
It should still have its gas then, enough anyway. Can you take it back to where you had it gassed, ask them to look at it.
I would prefer not to use them, they are good at what they do, but very expensive. I can see an aircon repair costing a fortune with them. Had a play last night, its almost like the cool air isn't coming out the system. Might be an actuator that is stuck.

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
I recently fitted my system back on but forgot to lube the seals. I had it gassed and it was nice and cold for a few days, then I also got the whirring type sound and it wasn't very cold after that.
A day or so later and the compressor doesn't engage any more, so I think the sound is that transition period between having enough gas and no gas...