air conditioning

Cheung_dc5

Hi, My A/C hasn't worked since the day I've had the car. I'm needing to get it sorted as I'm following the Tour de France in July. When I put the air con on the revs do not dip atall, dose this mean the pump has had it? or no just pressure in the system?
obviously will need gassing anyway, but wondered if this was an indication to something a little more serious?

Thanks, Matt

hoho

Advanced Member
If the gas has leaked out, then there won't be any pressure in the system to kick start the pump. Best bet is to regas the air con system with a dye and check for any leaks.

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Honda can do this for £65 just to give you a guide line. I had mine fully bled, had the bacteria clean through and re-gas done for £40 at my local garage though.

When done it should be freezing cold!

But keep using it (once a week for 10 mins or so) the more you use it the less it will leak??!! Strange.

Mark_teg

Staff member
If there's no gas in the system the pressure switch will stop the compressor clutch engaging.

Most common cause for losing the gas is damage to the condensor (in front of the rad) due to there being very little protection out of the factory. As said above, not using the AC also results in the gas being lost due to the oil not being circulated in the system to help the o-rings to seal.

Kwik fit use good AC machines; they vacuum the system and check for leaks before regassing so you'll know by then if you have a problem. I'm not a fan of Kwik fit but as long as they're trained with the machine you should be ok. I'd stay with the car if you take it there :)

Avoid the packs you can buy in Halfords, they're rubbish!

HTH

Cheung_dc5

nice one thanks for the advise, will probably pay the little extra and take it to Honda if it leaks is it easily traced? is that what the dye is for?

ozzy147

Advanced Member
I used kwick fit to sort my AC. Did a great job, stuck the machine on, pressure tested, re gassed, dye in the system and off I went with icy cold air con.

C2AXG

Advanced Member
does our aircon only work when the cars moving fast...
mine seems to loose its cool when stationary in traffic or moving slowly in traffic which is when I seem to need it the most :xprotest:

Mebz

Advanced Member
I've just booked mine in for Saturday as well, £75.00 at Greenacre Honda.

Thank you ITR DC5....

Cheung_dc5

all done, no leaks! it's now icey cold! they also invited me back for a check up in two weeks 👍🏼

Rom

Advanced Member
Just some general info.
AC gas does diminish over time, it will never last forever.

Use it often to keep all the seals lubricated etc. Even just a couple of minutes. It doesnt have to be on cold to be working, it will still dehumidify the air on warm etc.

Dye is added to trace future leaks technically. As its illegal to knowingly vent R12, R134a, R1234yf etc to atmosphere. Nitrogen should be used for leak finding. The machine will remove gas, then vacuum the system and monitor the pressure. This is the basic leak check, but it can be wrong, as leaks are normally tiny, and often only found when system is running.

You can also get sniffers, which is what i prefer, they detect refrigerant particles.

Its worth making sure the place are doing an AC service, not just a regas. Ive known places to just suck any remaining gas out, and stick new gas in.
A proper service would keep vacuuming the system to make sure any residual moisture is removed, pressure test the vacuum for leaks, replace any oil removed (machine weighs what came out) regas with dye, then performance test it on the machine.
Thats where going somewhere reputable, like Honda comes in.

ozzy147

Advanced Member
Exact same diagnosis as mine mate. I just got mine back from honda on Saturday. Looks like the best place to get your condenser is from America