Alignment problem

donkeykong

Advanced Member
Hi Guys,

Got some problems yesterday with alignment. the garage said there is play on the inner side of the track rod.
does this mean that i need new track rods or is there something with the housing of the steering rack?
i don't feel anything in the steering, so i'm not sure if they are right.

with alignment there was the problem that on the right side the cambe cannot be set more than 1 degree or else the toe cannot be in range.
so i'm wondering about it.

I have tein coilovers which can be aligned on top with camber, my previous eibach bolts are in too...could this be the problem? i could not find my oem bolts, let me know if this is causing the alignment problems. thanks

Marcel

leejw87

Spoon Whore
Sound like it just needs a new steering arm (track rod) the ball joints can wear and cause excessive play.. Don't think he's referring to the actual track rod ends.

donkeykong

Advanced Member
Yeah i thought that too. Maybe should try that first, thks lee.

What could cause that the alignment cannot be in order? Bent track rod?

brucey87

Advanced Member
do you get any clunking or knocking? I didnt realise how much my oem ones knocked until i changed them for inverted tie rod ends so much more solid feel now.

leejw87

Spoon Whore
Yeah i thought that too. Maybe should try that first, thks lee.

What could cause that the alignment cannot be in order? Bent track rod?
I'd imagine on your DC5 it has worn due the lowered suspension and the steering angle being too great.

donkeykong

Advanced Member
yeah it was quite low before, no it's not anymore.

i don't get any clunking when i turn the wheel, actually i don't feel play in the steering wiel either, so maybe it's minimal.

will get other track rods.

thks guys

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Let me know what you have to pay for these if you don't mind mate. I'm about to go from coilovers to oem so will have to seperate those top ball joints. I'm guessing they may be pretty worn anyway after having all the strain from the lowered set up but me splitting them may just about finish them off!

Stoo

Whining.....
As you start to move the suspension strut towards the centre line of the car, increasing negative camber, the toe angle naturally alters to give toe in... often more than required.

So you need to adjust it toe out, but quite often, the track rod is too long to do this successfully and the track rod end bottoms out on the track rod.