Alternator

Wootty

Advanced Member
Might be needing a new one :cry:

Anyone with a DVM out there measure your voltage at the fusebox so I can be sure - mines reading 12.1V and it should be 13+ at least.

Probably the reason why my battery was dead the other day - but the new one has lasted 3 days now so I think it must be getting some charge??

New Honda Price £440 + VAT :shock: Going to look for a recon unit :?:

Attachments

BadBadtz

Advanced Member
you sure you dont have a short anywhere? If you charge the battery fully out of the car and then leave it in for a while does it discharge?

Wootty

Advanced Member
BadBadtz said:
you sure you dont have a short anywhere? If you charge the battery fully out of the car and then leave it in for a while does it discharge?
Well the old battery did - but then it would do that if the alternator was duff too as the battery would discharge as it was suplying the car and not being charged up by the alternator. As I say, new battery is lasting 3 days now with no signs of dying so it might be getting something.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
wanna swap for a rear spoiler? I have a oem one spare :wink:

I thought i had a problem so bought a new one which i fitted and it didn't cure the fault (it was the aem pulleys and belt)
it still has an aem underdrive pulley fitted which would need to be removed (needs an airgun to loosen the nut)

Wootty

Advanced Member
C&S Evo7 said:
wanna swap for a rear spoiler? I have a oem one spare :wink:

I thought i had a problem so bought a new one which i fitted and it didn't cure the fault (it was the aem pulleys and belt)
it still has an aem underdrive pulley fitted which would need to be removed (needs an airgun to loosen the nut)
Just read your PM Si - and tried to call you back - guess I missed you before you got to the airport.

Give me a ring when you get back - I'm sure we can work something out :wink: If i dont have it sorted by then!

LeeH

Advanced Member
Why cannot you just sling a meter across the battery terminals to check for the charging voltage?

EDIT: Lee, read the post fully stupid :roll:

Wootty

Advanced Member
All Sorted...

The new Ali spacer blocks from Moss Motors were not making a good earth from the Alternator to the engine block :D

Took it to a local Auto Electricians in Patchway and they diagnosed it for me. With a jump lead from the alternator body back to the -ve battery terminal it was back up to 13.9V

So I moved one of my TP earth leads (which was supposed to go to the alternator anyway but I never had it there because I thought it was a nightmare to fit it :roll: ) and hey presto Roberts your Mothers Brother!!!

So all sorted now :lol: xthumbup

Thats saved £440 +VAT - Sorry DJ - but thanks anyway for your help with part numbers and all.