Alternators

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Had a search on google but cant find a definitive answer.

I'm looking to change my alternator as I've had a whining noise for over a year now. I've isolated it to something on the aux belt as the noise goes away if you start the car without the belt.

I've replaced tensioner pulley, Crank pulley and PAS pump but it was none of those things. This leaves me with two remaining possibilities. Alternator or power steering pump.

I was going to run a shorter belt to bypass the air con, thinking this would be the cheaper of the two options but the belt is £50 so I'd may as well give the alternator a go first as its probably the more likely of the two. Turning the air con on and off makes no difference to the noise either.

So back to my original questions:

Is the DC5 alternator the same as any other Honda models? I.e. EP3? I've noticed some of the alternators on ebay are advertised as K20A2 ones so I just wanted to be sure really.

Also does anyone know the correct number of Amps the alternator should be rated at? 100amps rings a bell but again I just wanted to confirm.

Finally if anyone has one in good working order that they'd like to sell, drop me a PM. I'll put a post up in the wanted section if I don't get anything within the next few days :)

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Dave, have you tried bleeding the power steering fluid? Might be whining due to an air lock.

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Gok (aka Chinese Adam) said:
Dave, have you tried bleeding the power steering fluid? Might be whining due to an air lock.
Yes matey, I completely replaced the pump, put fresh fluid through and bled it of air. The noise was the same both before and after changing the pump and fluid.

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Beppe said:
gates do a 1345 that should be fine
Nice one Beppe. I'm sure I looked for pretty much anything within 10mm either side a couple of months ago and drew a blank but I'll have to give this a go.

Nice one xthumbup

Lemons

Advanced Member
Anyone got a part number for an alternator?

Is it the same as the EP3?

Seems to be harder to find than expected.

Mebz

Advanced Member
Anyone got a part number for an alternator?

Is it the same as the EP3?

Seems to be harder to find than expected.
There's one on ebay, it's showing part number as being 31100RJJ004.

Jap service parts list them as being the same for DC5 and EP3.

ChesterJSY

I priced one up the other day with my very helpful local Honda dealer. Honda part number is 31100-PRB-003 but it is unavailable at the moment with no eta. The price was £542.67 so will be looking for an aftermarket one too !! The description says (CJX68 - Denso) if that helps.

VtecPaul

Advanced Member
There's one on ebay, it's showing part number as being 31100RJJ004.

Jap service parts list them as being the same for DC5 and EP3.
If that part number is right, there’s plenty of them on eBay. Seem to be fitted to a CRV too?
Wouldn’t know myself; but be good to know if this ever gets checked/confirmed to fit :)

Lemons

Advanced Member
Thanks guys, everywhere I look on the internet is out of stock. Luckily I am not desperate. Part number 31100-PRB-003 Honda have given you matches the JP car parts list below.

http://jp-carparts.com/honda/partlist.php?maker=honda&type=INTEGRA 3D&cartype=25410&fig=E&fig1=611

EP3 alternator will fit apparently.

Would be useful to know about the CRV.