Am I missing anything? (Mapping)

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Hi

I might need to get my car mapped again as it doesn't feel right once in VTEC.

Current mods are;

J's Racing carbon intake
Samco hose
Hybrid Racing 70mm TB
Skunk2 pro series 70mm inlet manifold
Port polished head
Skunk2 Alpha series exhaust header (no cat) (2.7 inch)
Spoon sports b-pipe (2.5 inch)
5zigen miracle fireball exhaust (2.5 inch)

Last time I went, Romain said I needed a new TPS. So I bought a brand new one from Tegiwa. Fitted it and the car feels the same. He said it won't need mapping after fitting the TPS.

I am getting trouble with pulling away and it judders and kangaroos badly. Especially when cold. I do have a lightened flywheel and a 5.1FD but I don't think they will make much of a difference. Clutch is only 10k old. Romain could see on the dyno that something wasn't right with the car and asked what feelings I was getting from it. Hesitation, intermitant lack of power, kangarooing. It all pointed towards the TPS.

Once the car is rolling it picks up very well in any gear up until VTEC.

When VTEC kicks in @4.5k you can hear it but not much happens until 5-5.5k which romain explained due to the characteristics of a Honda. But it feels like it takes ages to pick up once in VTEC. I thought it would be like a rocket!

I'm not disputing Romains ability to map but I'm wondering if I need anything else BEFORE I go back up again to get it mapped, hopefully for the last time.

Many thanks

Adam

maxvr6

Advanced Member
This is probably obvious but are you sure the TPS doesn't need calibrating? Also sure the vtec solenoid isn't getting stuck and is getting enough oil pressure?

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Me Tom and James calibrated it when fitting but we could only get 0.60v and not 0.50v when closed. But got the 4.5v needed when opened.

Oil pressure is all good.

Altecians

Advanced Member
All the signs seem to suggest its TPS.
Someone I know on here had to replace their TPS more than 4 times until springing for a Hall's effect style TPS.

If you decide to try ordering another new TPS, it might be worth checking these out as an alternative to K-tune's : http://www.karcepts.com/shop/product.php?id_product=105
They have a guide on how to calibrate it both with K-pro and without.

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Ok so basically I need to make sure it's between 0.48-0.5v closed. The closest we could get was 0.6v so will put the KTuned one on and see if I can make it better.

I'm still not convinced though.

Liam

Advanced Member
If you've replaced the TPS and calibrated it as best you can, I guess all you can do is take it back to Romain again. If there's still issues then perhaps the fault lies elsewhere?

Your only other option would be to use a garage outfit like TDI North who can handle the mapping AND mechanical side of things? From what I've read, I get the impression Romain just does freelance style mapping without the spannering side of it, but I could be wrong.

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Ok so I have fitted the KTuned Hall effect TPS and the car is still doing the same thing. The TPS is set up on 4.5v full throttle but I can only achieve 0.75v on closed throttle. There is no room for adjustment. Is this something that needs to be adjusted in Kmanager?

I'm still getting the kangaroo effect at slow speeds and no torque whilst in VTEC. Mid range seems ok.

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Is it not the characteristics of a larger throttle body atall mate? I honestly don't know what to suggest. :( Could try it with all your OEM stuff back on and a map tweek.....might get the same results but with better drive ability

wj51fut

Advanced Member
It seems that none of the TPS want to be setup correctly. I can't get the lower 0.49v I need on idle. Only 0.70v-0.80v. The higher number 4.5v isn't an issue. It just won't read any lower. Unless I take the screws out and fully turn it back. Then the lowest it reads is 0.51v but you can't tighten it up!

I might just put it all back to standard 😔

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Turns out my primary o2 sensor has had enough. Genuine one from Tegiwa in the post. Booked in with Romain next Thursday too to clean the map up and adjust the TPS in Kmanager.

Fingers crossed it should then be ok.

Justintian

Advanced Member
WJ51FUT (Gok) said:
Turns out my primary o2 sensor has had enough. Genuine one from Tegiwa in the post. Booked in with Romain next Thursday too to clean the map up and adjust the TPS in Kmanager.

Fingers crossed it should then be ok.
Good to know that's attributed to the o2 sensor! Hope you get them sorted.

wj51fut

Advanced Member
I now have fitted the primary o2 sensor and the car feels better. I still don't think it's 100% but if it was a dodgy sensor then I guess it wouldn't have mapped very well.

Car is still jerky in slow corners but idle has dropped back down to 1k rpm instead of 1.3k rpm.

C2AXG

Advanced Member
My ep3 had exactly the same mods on and the 70mm throttle body did make make slow driving abit more jerky but when vtec came on at 4k ish it went like a rocket... romain mapped mine also?
you must have problems elsewhere bro if it isn't the tps?