am I running lean and what are the dangers

griffy

Advanced Member
Hi Guys I am toying with idea of Kpro, first of all this is my set-up:

Amuse full ti system
Gruppe m
Maxim works mani + sports cat

what do you recon, will I be running lean?

shall I jump on a rolling road to see, is this the best way to find out?

What are the risks of running lean?

If Kpro is the way to correct/move forwards are there any ill effects or downsides other than the cash cash money :lol:

BadBadtz

Advanced Member
Most likely running lean but a quick way to confirm would be to check your spark plugs. They should be slightly sooty/black if rich and white if running lean

BadBadtz

Advanced Member
griffy said:
whats the issue with running lean Nick? long term/ short term
Your engine will run hotter than one which is properly tuned. If this heat reaches beyond a critical level, preignition with greater frictional losses will reduce performance

griffy

Advanced Member
got you, I guess Kpro is the only way to tune? Will the engine temp gauge be a good indication of running too hot or is this not a good measure for engine temp? Could it cause any big issues, warped head? piston melt down? or is it just lack of performance?

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
melted pistons leading to massive engine faliure, melted plugs, valve s etc,
if you still have the cat it is possible you will not be lean. a RR run is the only way to tell for sure.

jostrom

Advanced Member
You're running lean at full throttle. Part throttle is ok because it's lambda controlled. There is no need to get it "checked", you are running lean. It could lead to knocking and engine destruction, but naturally aspirated engines are not destroyed "immediately" like high-power-forced-induction engines. It just isn't a good thing to run your car untuned with those parts.

K-Pro is the answer and there are no downsides unless you have a facelift model when you would lose the immobilizer function. Well the money of course...

griffy

Advanced Member
Interesting from old threads it looks like my car ran on the rich side with all my mods when on RR 8)

I will RR the car soon but I don't think its anything to worry about at the mo, cheers for your input guys! 8)