amp mounting

JDC5

Charged DC5
Hi all

At the mo i've just finished buying my boot install.. had it for 3months.. and i'm not happy with it.. i normall have the seats down to have a bigger boot space, but i got a 18mm thick MDF board across the rear seats to mount my 2 amps (4channel and Mono)

I was thinking.. would it be a good idea to mount them under the front seats?

atleast i save weight from removin the MDF. my car weights too much.. haha.. its makin me slow...

i knw there is enough room.. but dnt knw if its the best place.

I dnt want nothing in the boot apart from my JL 12" sub...

Any help please?

Cheers

Jimmy

LeeH

Advanced Member
Mine are going under the seats but only to make a tidy install nothing else.

Cannot think of any reason why not as I had my CD shuttle under my EP3 seats with no problems.

Lee :)

JDC5

Charged DC5
hey lee

what amps are you goin to be using?

I was thinking abt gettin the alpine PDX amps.. but dnt knw if i sud spend £500 ish on amps (PDX 4.150 and 1.600 ) these amps wud be ideal for the kind of job as its small and you dnt hav to worry abt the heat factor.

i was looking at the new infinity 4 channel amp.. i got the last year model. the new one are slightly bigger then the PDX. but at £120 delivered.. its a good price..

CHeers

Jimmy

crxvtec

Advanced Member
Amps under seats make for great butt warmers!

Seriously though if the amps are small and not driven too hard then under seat mounting is fine. Ideally for larger/more powerful amps, put them in the boot.

LeeH

Advanced Member
JDC5 said:
hey lee

what amps are you goin to be using?

I was thinking abt gettin the alpine PDX amps.. but dnt knw if i sud spend £500 ish on amps (PDX 4.150 and 1.600 ) these amps wud be ideal for the kind of job as its small and you dnt hav to worry abt the heat factor.

i was looking at the new infinity 4 channel amp.. i got the last year model. the new one are slightly bigger then the PDX. but at £120 delivered.. its a good price..

CHeers

Jimmy
I have these which I had in the Civic. They will be driving Alpine Type S comps and coaxials in the rear. Also a 12" Alpine S in the boot.

Cheers

Lee

• MRPF250
• 4/3/2 Channel Operation
• Per channel into 4 ohms: 40W x 4 (0.08% THD)
• Per channel into 2 ohms: 75W x 4
• Brigded 4 ohms: 180W x 2

• Alpine MRP-M450
• MONO POWER AMPLIFIER
• Per channel into 4 ohms: 220W x 1 (1% THD)
• Per channel into 2 ohms: 400W x 1
• Brigded 4 ohms: 600W x 1
• Class-D

JDC5

Charged DC5
hey lee

how are you goin to mount them under the seats?

i was thinking.. mount the bottom of the amp flat against the bottom of the seats... i was thinking get a 8-10mm thick mdf, cut it to the shape of the seat and do it that way..

can you tell me how your planning to do this as i havent got a good way to do it... help appricated mate!!

CHeers.. any pics of the install?

JD

LeeH

Advanced Member
JDC5 said:
hey lee

how are you goin to mount them under the seats?

i was thinking.. mount the bottom of the amp flat against the bottom of the seats... i was thinking get a 8-10mm thick mdf, cut it to the shape of the seat and do it that way..

can you tell me how your planning to do this as i havent got a good way to do it... help appricated mate!!

CHeers.. any pics of the install?

JD
I used Velcro mate...easy :)

You can get a roll of self adhesive stuff off eGay far a few pounds.

Ive mounted my Alpine PDX under the passanger seat. Made a bracket to bolt on to the cross piece under the seat, fits perfectly & is very secure! Havent run any cables yet but you get the idea. The passenger seat still has its full adjustment and doesnt touch the amp at all.

With the seat bolted back in:

JDC5

Charged DC5
@stuartgrainger.. man!!! u lucky *** lol.. i want these amps.. they would be idea for the job! are they the 4.100 or 4.150? thats what i'm aimin for..

hmmm... i want to get the PDX.. but no income at the mo..

@lee... could do...?

JD

AdrianK

Advanced Member
The amps are best where you got the, you dont need mdf tho... my amps are screwed straight to the bac of the seat with very short screws, no issues at all.

Also mounting under front seats is a bad plan, no room for air to move, will get a lot hotter than in the boot, also in the winter you often will be blowing hot air down there from the heater!!

JDC5

Charged DC5
@stuartgrainger.. how did you make the base n that?

@AdrianK.. i knw wot u mean.. but the PDX amps are best for this.. even wen u blow hot air they still perform.. these amps were designed so another PDX sits ontop of it..lol..

JD

Its a PDX4.100, using it to run my front components with active crossover. Main reason for mounting under the seat is ease of installation, shorter cables and its completely out of sight.

Made the braket from some flat mild steel bar, drilled & tapped a few holes, welded it together and hey presto.

If anyone needs a bracket making for their amp or anything PM me with dimensions etc and ill make. I have access to plenty materials, welding equipment etc.

12T

Advanced Member
Any1 seen stuartgrainger around?? i want these amp mountings plates any one else makes these?

LeeH

Advanced Member
I'm ripping mine out the boot next year...should have done what I said I was doing in the first place :lol: :roll:

tedg

Advanced Member
stuartgrainger said:
Its a PDX4.100, using it to run my front components with active crossover. Main reason for mounting under the seat is ease of installation, shorter cables and its completely out of sight.

Made the braket from some flat mild steel bar, drilled & tapped a few holes, welded it together and hey presto.

If anyone needs a bracket making for their amp or anything PM me with dimensions etc and ill make. I have access to plenty materials, welding equipment etc.
Hi Stuart, I could do with a bracket like this..... do you have time to make one up?