Annoying Rattle..Spoiler?

Ramz007

Advanced Member
During deceleration there is a rattle which appears from the back of the car.

Really baffled by it because the people who sit in the back have tried to hold onto the rear strut, rear glass and many other plastics to see if itll stop the noise but it hasn't.

I suspected it could be the spoiler..Ive checked the bolts and they're tight..

Any Ideas? Anyone has this in the past?

Not sure if its exhaust because when idle ive tried to rev and hear it decelerate but there isnt a noise present then..

Cheers...its probably somthing minor..im guessing the spoiler may be causing the noise so i may just remove and re-fit with some foam underneath to see if it'll stop the rattle.

Any help appreciated.

Rob R

Advanced Member
Number plate? Mine started to rattle after i fitted engine mount inserts.

gaza4

Advanced Member
you said you've had people hold various plastics in the rear but have you checked the parcel shelf (if you have one)??? mines very rattly!!!

kneedowndean

Advanced Member
Sure it's not the exhaust? Mines rattling at the min, after having a Mugen Fitted, and it sounds just like rattly trim.

davidpingu

Advanced Member
You could always remove the spoiler for a test run? Only takes 2 mins to remove. A quick drive up and down the road would help rule it out. There is a sponge type material between the spoiler and boot panel designed to soak up vibration so perhaps this has worn a little?

donzooo

Advanced Member
Check the rear lip. On mine just to the left hand of the numberplate right underneath there was dirt and debris trapped causing a rattle that was the same symptoms as yourself.

Worth a check.

gaza4

Advanced Member
did you ever get to the bottom of this??? my rattle which i thought was the parcel shelf was actually my whole rear bumper!!!!

the bracket under the left light was really badly corroded and not supporting the bumper properly causing the rattle...could be something to look at...

Tomfoolery

Advanced Member
I've had my DC5 stripped now for a good three years and over time I've had a rattle grow worse and much more irritating.
Taking into consideration that I'm pounding a buddyclub below a hollow metal shell this vibrating/rattling sound is something insecure or corroded etc. and not just down to being able to hear a lot more movement through the car in general.

I based my searching on plastic against plastic, plastic against metal and metal against metal and I'm still yet to discover the heart of the problem.

Piece by piece I've removed cables, bolts, fixings etc and re-secured with soft pading behind. Culprits seem to be as said prior to my post; the rear bumper and light brackets, and I've noticed the tailgate latch mechanism also makes some annoying vibrations.

I sealed my rear lip with mastic and number plate tape so that's secure, and also the top step of the rear bumper if wedged with sponge to absorb the movement.
My rear bumper has a rattle on the side section just before it secures to the rear quarter so that will be the next fix.

I've installed coilovers and both upper and lower rear strut bars a while back so this is giving me harsher vibration rattles to the point that I'm just going to suggest it's the tack welds dotted all around the shell that hold thin layers of pannelling and supporting structures that have moved slightly or perhaps come apart causing the rattles and vibrations to occur over age and the fact I've modified the original structure.

Tom.

Fez

Advanced Member
I too have an annoying rattle from rear that can't be found, since fitting mounts. Hopefully be one of things listed above :D

MissMyDC2

Advanced Member
The last rattle I had was a junction block coming from the rear light cluster which was rattling on the bulk head. Got another one now mind which comes and goes.

Tomfoolery

Advanced Member
Pop the champagne I've solved my issue!!!

I removed my rear bumper today to take another look at my light/bumper brackets and by tapping and banging around to seek out the source of this awful rattle it became clear.
Just behind the number plate is a small bracket made from thin metal and had been tack welded in as well as bolts. It was the welds that had become loose over time allowing the waffley metal frame to vibrate intensely due to the bolts holding it in position.
By the looks of it this bracket is designed as an optional number plate fix as it has two threaded holes in the face. So I decided to take a grinder to it and then make a better job of securing my plate to the bumper as prior I'd stuck it partially to this frame.
I left the bolts in place as the heads are behind layers in the interior bulk shell and the last thing I'd want is more rattles as a result of bolts I can't retrieve from a void.

I'm enjoying my car so much more once again!