Annoying Suspension Noise Help

Bewesy

Advanced Member
Hi,

I'm after a bit of advice with regards to a suspension noise.

Over slightly uneven surfaces when going slowly, like over cobbles or cattle grids for instance, where the suspension would be just 'chattering', not actually moving much, I'm getting a slightly knocky/rattley noise that I can feel in the car. It doesn‘t do it on the road or over speed bumps, It‘s only this slow speed stuff over small but rough surfaces.

I'm generally quite good (and quite persistent) at locating this type of thing, much to the amusement of my mates, so last night I changed the front ARB drop links hoping it would cure it. (My last two cars had a very similar noise that were caused by the links being worn). To my dismay this hasn't made a bit of difference and it‘s still doing it.

Then I thought it could be the top mounts or ball joints but I reckon to have tried prying and wiggling every suspension part with front suspension unloaded and cannot seem to feel/see any play in any of it. Unless whatever it is is just not actually that loose yet.

Has anyone got any ideas what it could be, or is there something else that could be loose and rattling in the engine bay I just haven‘t spotted yet?

FYI, it‘s a 56 late facelift with 60k on so relatively new in the grand scheme of things…

Thanks in advance,
Andy

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
Does sound arb related. Possibly the arb bushes as opposed to drop links? So where the arb bolts to chassis.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Bewesy

Advanced Member
Johngreen537 said:
Does sound arb related. Possibly the arb bushes as opposed to drop links? So where the arb bolts to chassis.

Thanks for the reply - that was my next port of call but they are still tight. The bar turns in them but I couldnt feel any play in there at all... Weird.

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
Sometimes you can't move it by hand or with tools. Remember there'll be 300 ish kgs of force moving them.

Quite annoyingly, my rear has just developed the irritating knock too :)

dc5-2ltr

dc5-2ltr
Have a similar problem at the moment and I`ve narrowed it down to what I`d describe as some sort of brake load sensor switch, just inside the rear drivers wing arch behind the rear wheel.It`s bugging the life out of me...if yours is a similar problem you can re-create it ,as I did, by bouncing the rear drivers side suspension ie pushing the rear wing panel from the top down a few times...I`d suppose the only way to get rid of the noise is to replace the sensor switch but I haven`t priced it up yet...HTH David
The clicking noise does sound as if it`s coming from the front of the car and I concentrated all my efforts to find it there but my clicking noise is deffo coming from the rear drivers wing.

Bewesy

Advanced Member
Thanks for the replies!

Johngreen537 said:
Sometimes you can't move it by hand or with tools. Remember there'll be 300 ish kgs of force moving them.

Quite annoyingly, my rear has just developed the irritating knock too :)

Very true. Going to have another look at weekend and if I can't see anything will just have to let it develop and see in to something I can diagnose.
It only does it under very specific circumstances so its messing with my head more than its messing with my driving pleasure. Ha!

dc5-2ltr said:
Have a similar problem at the moment and I`ve narrowed it down to what I`d describe as some sort of brake load sensor switch, just inside the rear drivers wing arch behind the rear wheel.It`s bugging the life out of me...if yours is a similar problem you can re-create it ,as I did, by bouncing the rear drivers side suspension ie pushing the rear wing panel from the top down a few times...I`d suppose the only way to get rid of the noise is to replace the sensor switch but I haven`t priced it up yet...HTH David
The clicking noise does sound as if it`s coming from the front of the car and I concentrated all my efforts to find it there but my clicking noise is deffo coming from the rear drivers wing.
Sounds very annoying! Mine is definitely more than a clicking. Something substantial is knocking as I can feel it through the car.

There's a specific set of cobbles near my house I can replicate it on so I tried again last night and it sounds like it could be something on/near the bulk head. Going to check the steering rack area this weekend.

Mark_teg

Staff member
I'm surprised you didn't change the ARB bushes the same time as you changed the drop links.. The bushes are only about £8 IIRC.

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Could be the bushes, or as my case misting suspension struts. I've changed literally everything to do with the suspension over the 4 years, but shocks are the only thing I haven't done. New set coming over from Japan as I type due to diagnosis at MOT, (and seen by myself). Could also be that.

Bewesy

Advanced Member
Mark_teg said:
I'm surprised you didn't change the ARB bushes the same time as you changed the drop links.. The bushes are only about £8 IIRC.
Yeah probably should have, I didn't even think. But as it turned out they looked and felt like new...

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
Aren't the bushes rubber though? I can't see how they could really cause the knocking type sound.
As it happens I also have this and I'm not sure if it's my coilovers. Larger bumps are ok but slow speed bumps and cobbles/road slabs etc create a rattling/tapping type sound.

shane_blueteg

Advanced Member
Worth taking a look at the bolts that mount the sub frame to the chassis. I had a knocking noise and it was cured by tightening these. Only half a turn to tighten but it's solved the noise. Was only there when I was reversing onto or pulling out of driveway

p1tse

Advanced Member
Sounds like similar symptoms to what I had
Noise was bad, made the car feel bad at the low speed over uneven roads which I have lots near where I live

New top mounts sorted the problem

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
tricker_luke said:
Aren't the bushes rubber though? I can't see how they could really cause the knocking type sound.
As it happens I also have this and I'm not sure if it's my coilovers. Larger bumps are ok but slow speed bumps and cobbles/road slabs etc create a rattling/tapping type sound.
Only needs a tiny bit of play to let the bar knock against the clamp, which makes a right old racket!

Jakke_itr

Did this ever get sorted as I have a very similar thing I have just fitted poly bush wishbone bushs and new drop links as I thought it might of been them but the noise is still there on and even more slightly bumpy roads at slow speeds

I'm going to do a nut and bolt check and buy some poly bush antiroll bar bushes and new top mounts see if that sorts it out

Bewesy

Advanced Member
Kind of. (Really helpful I know, sorry!)

I got new top mounts fitted a month or so ago and also adjusted my rubber bonnet stops (as that was slightly rattling on bumps)

It's definitely better but something is still not quite 100% Theres no play anywhere in the front suspension so it may be something unrelated. Tempted to try ARB bushes just cos they're cheap.

That just leaves shocks and bottom ball joints left to swap, but I'm not rushing.