Annoying Whine.

Matt-r8

Bought my Teg last week, and have noticed an annoying whine. It only happens when the engine is under load, and goes once above 2500-3000rpm. It actually sounds a little bit like a classic mini gear box. There are no other knocks or clicks. I did notice the PAS pump was squealing a little when i first bought the car, but that has now gone. First thoughts are get it serviced and have all the fluids replaced and then if the noise is still present, it's most likely the gear box.
Sound reasonable, or am is there anything else i can check first?
Cheers.
Matt

Matt-r8

She's the one that said i should get the car i want, and we bought something else as a family runabout. So for now, i'll be keeping hold of her ;)

truupR

Advanced Member
Mine has started to develop a similar thing at almost identical rpm's to yours. Sounds like a very very faint sound of a turbo spooling up :/ I believe the input shaft bearing is on its way out on mine so I'm really hoping its just that and not something more sinister (and way more pricey) in the gearbox :( let us know if you get this diagnosed or if I'm just being paranoid

Matt-r8

Looking at a new cc clutch kit, and it comes with input bearing anyway. Just hoping it's not the dif.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
I've asked this before but what is an input shaft bearing?

You mention yours sounds like a turbo spooling up, that's exactly what mine sounds like an a girl from work when she went in it for the first time said she could hear the turbo spooling. I said it doesn't have a turbo lol. Wonder if this is what's causing my noisy engine sound.

samwelltrademarked

Advanced Member
Input shaft bearing is part of your first motion shaft in the gearbox, your 1st and 2nd gears are on it... It gets the most stick out of all them bearings within the case, I've recently had all my bearings and seals done, it'll start to whine/grumble when it's on its way out, the noise will disappear on idle if you engage the clutch, similar noise to clutch release bearing but opposite circumstances (clutch in/out) correct me if I'm wrong guys? Don't want to come across as a know it all, oh and I also found out that of all the bearings within the box, Honda were kind enough to provide higher quality ntn bearing for all but that, which was a non brand generic bearing from what I remember.... Explains this common issue, you could probably (with lots of hassle) source a higher grade bearing of the same size such as a skf explorer type or fenso (i work on steering boxes) but would be a chore.
Hope this helps!

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Thanks mate, wasn't sure what it was that's all.

So when replacing the clutch this input shaft bearing is separate completely then?

samwelltrademarked

Advanced Member
Unfortunately, the input shaft bearing is within the gearbox, the only bearing you'll replace when doing a clutch, is the clutch release bearing, no idea why, but sometimes especially if you search on Google our brothers over the pond seem to think both are the same thing, makes it confusing

Matt-r8

truupR said:
Mine has started to develop a similar thing at almost identical rpm's to yours. Sounds like a very very faint sound of a turbo spooling up :/ I believe the input shaft bearing is on its way out on mine so I'm really hoping its just that and not something more sinister (and way more pricey) in the gearbox :( let us know if you get this diagnosed or if I'm just being paranoid
Sounds more like straight cut gears in an old A series mini. Goes away completely over certain revs. No noise when stationary. Only when driving.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
samwelltrademarked said:
Unfortunately, the input shaft bearing is within the gearbox, the only bearing you'll replace when doing a clutch, is the clutch release bearing, no idea why, but sometimes especially if you search on Google our brothers over the pond seem to think both are the same thing, makes it confusing
Thanks again for the info mate.

It will be getting a replacement clutch at some point next year. I may even get this input shaft bearing replaced whilst I'm at it just for piece of mind.

Is it a costly job?

samwelltrademarked

Advanced Member
It's not cheap..... But for peace of mind, once the subframes been dropped, engine tilted, gearbox off for clutch.... Well it's only the case that's got to be opened.... I think in all, bearings and seals were 300quid from steels, clutch 140ish, and labour came to just over 300, and that was cheap rate! Lol it makes sense to just do everything inside the gearbox in one hit, if I'd of had the money that would of been ideal time to do final drive/synchros/diff etc.... Can easily go into the thousands then