Another gearbox oil question...

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Right quick question,

Just to clarify i have always used Honda MTF3 gearbox oil and up to now had no problems what so ever! In this chilly weather we have been having recently, my gearbox almost seems to have a "warm up" period in the mornings. I don't drive it hard, especially in the morning commute, and i let it warm up whilst i eat my toast before any driving. First to second engages but has become quite crunchy, and the rest engage properly the first time just without the slickness until after about a 20 minute drive or so. After this it is as smooth as silk in all gears. Its been fine over the summer, with regular changes and magnetic sump and gearbox drain bolts installed. Question is, is it possible my oil is too thick? Are there any other manufactures that are just as good or better? it was changed about 1000 miles ago and it was replacing stuff which was still pretty clean looking.

Any advice or recommendations welcome,
Cheers guys

James

wj51fut

Advanced Member
I think to be honest James they are all like that. These cars have a tendency to drive like a bag of nails in the winter until they warm up properly. Just make sure you leave sufficient time and space between each gear change so that you don't crunch them. I personally wouldn't put anything thinner in my gearbox.

Modmedia

Advanced Member
MTF-3 is all I ever put in any of my 3 DC5s and I wouldn't use anything else! It's what Honda Intended.

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Lol Adam thats a good way to describe it. Its bareable and like you say, just hold it over the gear with little pressure untill it slips on in there.;) haha. I dont want to put anything thin in either thats why i questioned it. Thanks chaps... Bring on summer!!!

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Just a note: i greased up all the little bits and bobs under the airbox as they were a little dry... Much better!!!! plus no more squeeky clutch pedal on start up. yesssssss :xgrin: finally!!!!

thanks again chaps

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Just a note: i greased up all the little bits and bobs under the airbox as they were a little dry... Much better!!!! plus no more squeeky clutch pedal on start up. yesssssss :xgrin: finally!!!!

thanks again chaps
Makes a huge difference doing that. What did you use? I just used some WD40 to clean them out a bit then some spray grease from work. Not the white crap though.

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Snap! Just some spray grease whilst someone opperated the gears. Helped for a few days, but after the hard frost this morning it was a nightmare again. But then fine 20 mins after. Bloody annoying, i hate things not being perfect. haha. Maybe my gearbox could do with some sort of check over, but like i say, smooth as silk no matter what happens when warm. Ooo just thought, i might try adjusting the clutch maybe?

Thinking about it, the car has recently been idleing quite high in thr mornings, untill warm. Might also check my IAC valve or something. Maybe its revving up and stopping the gears being engaged?? Is this possible?

Mike_DC5

Advanced Member
Snap! Just some spray grease whilst someone opperated the gears. Helped for a few days, but after the hard frost this morning it was a nightmare again. But then fine 20 mins after. Bloody annoying, i hate things not being perfect. haha. Maybe my gearbox could do with some sort of check over, but like i say, smooth as silk no matter what happens when warm. Ooo just thought, i might try adjusting the clutch maybe?

Thinking about it, the car has recently been idleing quite high in thr mornings, untill warm. Might also check my IAC valve or something. Maybe its revving up and stopping the gears being engaged?? Is this possible?
Impossible..the revving does not matter as the clutch is dipped when selecting gears,revving high in these cold temperatures is perfectly normal on startup,you IAC valve is fine. The gears should still go in but will be stiff when cold,its normal in all hondas until warm.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

anton1234

Advanced Member
Mine is a bit stiff when cold mate, but fine after 15 or so minutes its perfect, just the nature of the close ratio gearbox I reckon, my ep3 is perfect all year round so I was thinking the teg had an issue, but 2 years on still drives the same and nothing has got any worse so I Wouldn't worry bud

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Yup, my EP3 was the same mate, must just be the very cold mornings like you all say. Drove it yesturday morning but rather than 6:30 it was more like 11:00am, this proved to myself that above freezing it was as normal. Mind at rest. lol bloody cars, you just fear the worst thats all. aa well.

Many thanks boy's and girl's

James

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Just to answer this, the crunching and everything gear change related was still not as it should be. I had fitted a new clutch, First and second gear synchro's with new oil and a rebuild by TGM. much better. :) Deffinately worth spending the money for piece of mind and superb gear changes. :)

Case closed.

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Alot! haha take about £1500 with you and you will be sorted for the day. ;) I dont want to give the exact price, but worth every penny

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Jimmer said:
Alot! haha take about £1500 with you and you will be sorted for the day. ;) I dont want to give the exact price, but worth every penny
Jesus! Really?! What did this involve though? What parts in all?

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Not quite, a tad bit off of that depends how bad or how long it takes for each case, but if you prepare yourself for that much then the shock is less. Just a safety net :)

But the synchro and and second gear cog are ny on £700 inc vat for both bits. Its crazy. They are probably the smallest parts too involved in the whole job.