Another which tyre thread

Paul Type R

I'm at odds to which tyre to change my aged (read original) rear RE040's to. My shortlist is another set of RE040's, RE050A, Yoko Advan Sports, Good Year Eagle F1 Asymetrics or original F1's (GSD3's). Apparantly according to the dealer i spoke to there's a prob getting hold of F1 Asymetrics at the mo but i've only phoned that one dealer as yet. On the front's at the min i have some Yoko Advan Neova AD07's which i've been told are unavailable in this country.

So which of the above do people think are the best for both wet and dry grip. The prices are too similar to make a decision on that alone.

Cheers

ian.herm01

Advanced Member
Don't like F1's too soft for the dry they go all spongy and fell like your on marbles.

If you have the Jap spec RE040, then they are nothing liek the UK version, main difference is the load rating, the Jap ones are 96! Oh yes, that is why they make loads of noise and grip like hell.

Got a set of RE050A, you need to be very careful which varient you order, bridgestones are a nightmare. I spent 30 mins talking to their technical departmeny, you want the CZ first or EZ as a second choice with 94Y rating. Youy want to feel these grip, oh, trade off 140 tyre wear :shock: Toyo R888 GG are 100, Prada spec -2 300. So you can imagine the grip.

Just my input, but others like the F1, only if they are made in germany, which they stopped doing a few months ago and now they are all made in China and have teflon added :shock:

You could always try the RE070, but it only comes in 225, grips well and is scooby do fitment.

ian.herm01

Advanced Member
chalkie said:
Paul Type R said:
mind you that is unfitted.

Fit them your self,you remember, just use some old spoons........... :lol: :lol:
Chalkie you not giving good advice, you need washing up liquid in addition to the old spoons. :wink:

Paul Type R

ian.herm01 said:
Don't like F1's too soft for the dry they go all spongy and fell like your on marbles.

If you have the Jap spec RE040, then they are nothing liek the UK version, main difference is the load rating, the Jap ones are 96! Oh yes, that is why they make loads of noise and grip like hell.

Got a set of RE050A, you need to be very careful which varient you order, bridgestones are a nightmare. I spent 30 mins talking to their technical departmeny, you want the CZ first or EZ as a second choice with 94Y rating. Youy want to feel these grip, oh, trade off 140 tyre wear :shock: Toyo R888 GG are 100, Prada spec -2 300. So you can imagine the grip.

Just my input, but others like the F1, only if they are made in germany, which they stopped doing a few months ago and now they are all made in China and have teflon added :shock:

You could always try the RE070, but it only comes in 225, grips well and is scooby do fitment.
I did look at the RE070 as they are fitted to the new FD2R, but aren't they damn expensive and hard to get hold of being jap only?