Another Which Tyre THread

Zero7

Advanced Member
Here we go again :lol:

My Volks will be here soon and will need new rubber, I was impressed with my GSD F1's when running with stiff coilovers, however I now have standard shocks with Eibach springs and find the sidewall a little soft.

I love the grip these provide in the wet and dry, and would not consider another tyre if it were not for the soft sidewall. I don't think I'll get a combination of very good grip and a firm sidewall - Would the Toyo T1-R's be any better, or is there another tyre that is going to give me everything I need :?:

User

Advanced Member
RE010. £100 a corner, or less.

Sidewall is as per the RE040 - very stiff, dry grip amazing, wet grip reasonable.

Main thing is the wet grip is significantly better than the famously poor RE040.

Evs

Advanced Member
So you flogged your coilovers to improve the ride quality, and now you think your tyres are too soft and want stiffer ones? :? :lol:

I'd go for stiffer suspension and softer tyres myself, but as that's not the question you asked I'd suggest trying Yokohama A046 or Bridgestone RE010/040/050. Harder compounds than the F1 GSD3 and not as good in the wet, but you are where you are, and if you want more transient response on turn-in then you'll have to accept a tradeoff somewhere...

Not tried the Toyo T1-R myself but the T1-S has a softer sidewall than the F1 GSD3 imho.

HTH?

dc5-2ltr

dc5-2ltr
I`ve got the T1 S `s on my 18" rims and the car is lowered on Eibachs...the ride is slightly firmer than stock and the grip in dry conditions is very good but I`ve not had much opportunity to test them in the wet yet :wink:

pyrognome

hello,

I would suggest yoko's been using them for ages and never looked back at any other brand.

pyrognome :evil: burn baby burn!!!

Zero7

Advanced Member
Evs said:
So you flogged your coilovers to improve the ride quality, and now you think your tyres are too soft and want stiffer ones? :? :lol:

I'd go for stiffer suspension and softer tyres myself, but as that's not the question you asked I'd suggest trying Yokohama A046 or Bridgestone RE010/040/050. Harder compounds than the F1 GSD3 and not as good in the wet, but you are where you are, and if you want more transient response on turn-in then you'll have to accept a tradeoff somewhere...

Not tried the Toyo T1-R myself but the T1-S has a softer sidewall than the F1 GSD3 imho.

HTH?
:lol: Decided to stick to GSD F1's until the ultimate 'Firmer Sidewall and superb grip' tyre comes out - I think I'll be waiting a while. Perhaps my new, lighter alloys will improve turn in response.

pyrognome

Dibz.dc5 said:
whats the difference between the gsd2 and d3 etc? anybody rate yoko a539's?

hi,

the yoko's a539 are good all rounder tyre good in wet and dry and they pretty good in durabilty all depends what you want in the tyre the compound I found to be good for all road conditions but dont excel in any department.

pyrognome

hi,

dibz tbh it all depends what you want and your driving habits im a great fan of yoko's always have been some might say im bias but im a fan of yoko's for a good reason because imho they in a class of its own.

the f1 are good tyres dont get me wrong but I found the tyre wall to be a bit soft in wet and dry they good and the straight line performance and stability are also great its conering ability that lets it down, in everyday driving on normal roads its unlikely you will notice it but on track its a let down.

I would put yoko's you mentioned are on par with the f1 minus the softer side wall but the yokos have a softer compound and less durabilty than the f1 from experience

if your willing to pay a bit extra your probably better off with yoko's Parada range which again are softer but they grip like a train on a track both in wet and dry , and if money is no object then look at the advan range cant go far wrong there

Dibz.dc5

im after a really good set of tyres which i will use alot on the road but also use for trackdays throughout the year. Any suggestions?

pyrognome

hmm.

cant have it all mate all season tires tend to be harder in compound which make them last longer which tend to be crap when it comes to track and if you was to go for track tires the tires tend to be too soft and wont last long for road use . In a ideal world when money is no object is to have two sets of tires but as I said thats a ideal world, I would suggest going for something with a little give both ways and I would suggest Parada Spec-X which are really good all rounder in any season any weather tire which is also soft enough for track use also or parada spec-2 these are what im using now and they kick ass! They look mental also and they grip like nothing I had on before they are softer than spec-x but if your driving normally in everyday use they are pretty durable so it will be good in track also also you can try toyo proxy stuff it had mixed reviews but from my exp. they pretty good and they last

pyrognome

Dibz.dc5 said:
cheers for that mate i will take a look.

no problems.

I go through tires like no tmmrw lol tend use them get bored with the feel from them then upgrade to another set to try to see how it compares , my brothers and friends dont mind thou because they get all my hand me downs :p

Dibz.dc5

i would think about something like yoko A048's but im not sure how they will fair on the road. Im thinking that they wont get upto temp on the road and so be worse than a road tyre which wouldent be much use as road use will be my main priority. Should really get two sets of wheels...

j9jrx

Advanced Member
Yokohama AVS sports all the way :D had these on the car about 3 months now and they're awesome. Best tyre ive had on the car. :D

The Mofo

Advanced Member
I would go with Toyo all the way, great in the dry and good in the wet. I've heard a few people say that the sidewall is soft, I don't know where they're getting that from but all I know is that they stick like sh!t to a shovel.