Anti corrosion/bodywork Guide?

badeshi

Advanced Member
Just getting paranoid about keeping car in good condition and wondered if anyone had any more info or if there any kind of guide or sticky explaining all the areas to check or where corrosion is most likely and why?

From searching I can find some info of specific problems but it would be good to know areas to check and prevention methods.

I know a lot of people like to refer to body shops and experts but I enjoy working on the car and find I can do quite a few jobs with time and planning so it would be good to know DIY methods also...

If anyone can share info that would be great!...

I wish I had a garage...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Chewy

Advanced Member
The most prolific areas for rust that I'm aware of;

*Spare wheel well (quite literately) - This is due to the rear light seals failing, allowing water into the boot floor.
*Rear Arches - This is caused by moisture getting trapped between the 2 skins of the arches rusting them from the inside out.

In an ideal world, once rust sets in the only real resolution is to have a large area cut out around it and new metal welded in, but you can most definitely slow the progression with rust treatments and paint.

As many will recommend to you, look at the POR15 kit as many have had great success with this.

The best thing for your DC5 would be to keep on top of the chassis underseal inspecting and topping up annually.

Grab yourself a POR15 kit and whip off the bumpers and skirts, check everywhere for rust. any found, sand/wire brush it off, treat it with some for of rust killer and then once the area is prepped coat in the POR15 kit for that added protection.