Any advice on braceing down a Gruppe M

terry

hi

here is my GruppeM with a double sided tape in between the OEM rubber and the rubber of the gruppeM's mouth. still, it doesnt solve the problem of rattling. Note that i didnt do the scuttle mod though...

How does the strut bar could had caused the sound? unless it been banging to the GruppeM, but my gruppe seems untouched and no marks its been hitting the strut.

Evs

Advanced Member
I applied pipe lagging to the black steel OEM brace that runs behind the airbox, this lifted the airbox up slightly so it looked more likely to knock on the Spoon brace. Basically if you put lagging on both the OEM and Spoon braces it 'clamps' the airbox in place with foam-covered braces.

Hope that makes sense :D

terry

hi

ah.... so literally by pipe lagging ( using foam covered braces) would eliminate the rattles?

By the way, the shiny GruppeM scuttle does not creates noise by itself right? or does it? i mean, a lot of people says its crap, but i really dont mind keeping it as long as it does not produces sound

MattDC5

Advanced Member
Re: hi

terry said:
ah.... so literally by pipe lagging ( using foam covered braces) would eliminate the rattles?

By the way, the shiny GruppeM scuttle does not creates noise by itself right? or does it? i mean, a lot of people says its crap, but i really dont mind keeping it as long as it does not produces sound
I used to get loud vibration after fitting a GruppeM at around 3-5K revs. Ive since fitted a modified OEM scuttle panel and the vibration has gone. I also have the pipe lagging on the OEM brace and an aftermarket strut.

ReKo

Advanced Member
Hi guys I'm having a problem with squeeking from the GM and have narrowed it down to a bit of play on one of the allen key clips (the one that holds the filter to the box I think).

Now I've done them up as tight as much as I dare but, effectively, I can still hold the entire kit at opposite ends and rotate the box.
Is this normal or should it be completely tight? The clip was clicking away and it's done really tightly at the moment so I didn't want to force it.

I've currently got:
- modded OEM scuttle
- pipe lagging on the anti-roll bar
- double-sided foam tape on top of the pipe lagging to secure the scoop.
- some more foamy tape where the rubber end of the scoop touches the scuttle panel.

Rick mentioned the clamp that secures the AC piping - can somebody put up a picture or something showing where to check?

Also got some small rattling but I think it's the weather strip vibrating against the top of the scoop - will try taping it down.

jay82

Advanced Member
ReKo said:
Hi guys I'm having a problem with squeeking from the GM and have narrowed it down to a bit of play on one of the allen key clips (the one that holds the filter to the box I think).

Now I've done them up as tight as much as I dare but, effectively, I can still hold the entire kit at opposite ends and rotate the box.
Is this normal or should it be completely tight? The clip was clicking away and it's done really tightly at the moment so I didn't want to force it.

I've currently got:
- modded OEM scuttle
- pipe lagging on the anti-roll bar
- double-sided foam tape on top of the pipe lagging to secure the scoop.
- some more foamy tape where the rubber end of the scoop touches the scuttle panel.

Rick mentioned the clamp that secures the AC piping - can somebody put up a picture or something showing where to check?

Also got some small rattling but I think it's the weather strip vibrating against the top of the scoop - will try taping it down.
just checked on my gm and it shouldn't and i've no filter in mine and it doesn't twist.

ReKo

Advanced Member
Thanks Jay, will get that sorted.

So have anybody managed to brace down the GM without using a strut brace? The double-sided tape I'm used isn't sticking to the pipe lagging so it's bouncing about again now.

ReKo

Advanced Member
Well I finally got it sorted this weekend whilst the Samco hose was being put on (thanks Allen :D).
It may look a bit ghetto but the rubber strap holds it down really tightly whilst being soft enough to not mark the carbon. I deliberately tried get it to rattle by using little revs, engine labouring etc. and get nothing - it's completely solid now.

Whilst the box was off I tried tightening up the clip again but it wouldn't do up properly so I put a little bit of grease on and the job's a good 'un!

Chuffed to bits now - all the performance and all the glorious noise without the annoying rattling and fitting woes 8)

linzi94

Advanced Member
i put foam padding on the top corner also but have to replace it constantly as it gets worn off and also i have to paint the area on the bonnet where it rubs off.

i keep upgrading the foam and now have some unsightly yellow bodyshop masking foam on it, but that still rubs the paint off the bonnet.

also, i have to tighten the clamp around the carbon chamber all the time as it slackens off no matter how tight the clamp is.

the scuttle panel is deffinitely getting launched as it has come away from the windscreen, i will mod my spare oem scuttle and find some heavy duty tape to stick it down with.

woe is me!!!