any ideas of a good wax?

shanedixon

Advanced Member
hi im regulary cleaning my car and use a range of products just got my da polisher im looking for a wax that leaves a really high gloss shine iv got a silver dc5 anyone no of any good ones :)

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
Wax is only as good as the condition of your clear coat really. So get that sorted first.

Regarding wax, you want anything you fancy, if you want long lasting, go for a synthetic wax, if you don't mind waxing it every couple of weeks, go for a natural wax.

I will always recommend Meguiars as they are always well priced for their performance, smells nice, easy to remove etc, natural wax like Meguiars Gold Class Carnauba Plus has natural Carnauba with synthetic polishing oils. Or their Synthetic wax, Meguiars Ultimate Wax will last longer but is slightly harder to remove with a higher price tag.

But yeah, basically your wax is only as 'shiny' as you paintwork. So Clay it if it needs it first, then machine clean it with some Ultimate Compound or similar product. Finally you want to seal it in with a quality wax... plenty of write ups in the detailing section here, have a browse :)

Nice how to here by Meguiars:
http://youtu.be/xrse_DBaUbc

Also, Detailing guide...
http://www.meguiars....bsite_small.pdf

Either way, enjoy :)

Zani

Advanced Member
There was a huge project undertaken by some one on detailing world some time ago... he had a massive mobile horse box that he sectioned off and used a different wax on each section, and did an update each week on the protection etc. He used about 15 or so waxes.

Some that cost double that of others wore out much quicker then their cheaper competitor.

The Autoglim HD Wax @ £50 a tub from halfords came out at a very reasonable 3rd position at the end I believe

flatout1

as above really,the secret to a good shine is not just wax,give it a good wash using the 2 bucket method,then clay,then 2 coats of auto glym super resin polish,then try collinite 476,its very good and not expensive,but if you want an amazing shine you need to buy a machine polisher ie megs g220,i wouldnt be without mine now.

Adam-f

Advanced Member
I always use DoDo Juice Diamond white on my CW DC5 its brilliant stuff, you can also use this on all light colors including Silver so check it out.

shanedixon

Advanced Member
Well i usually tar and glue the car then wash clay,polish,and wax for the polish autoglym super resin and the wax is meguiars paste wax cant remeber exact one but bout 20 pound a tin i use the yellow meguiars stuff u put in the bucket i must sound like a right ametuer wouldnt belive i use to be a valetor at toyota lol just wana look after my car well to be fair and looking for any pointers on hood stuff

Modmedia

Advanced Member
Autoglym HD Wax is the best for around £25.

Honestly, I've around 2000 posts on Detailing World - I've done the research, used the products and for this price point it's hard to beat. Pick it up from eBay for <£25.

Meg's Ultimate Wax is terrible, no disrespect to Porthos but it is one of the worst I have used - but I do love pretty much any other product they do and use their Megs Microfibre Correction System with SUPERB results for a DA.

As stated, make sure your paint is swirl free before any wax and then just use HD Wax, seriously.

Mark_teg

Staff member
Autoglym HD Wax is the best for around £25.

Honestly, I've around 2000 posts on Detailing World - I've done the research, used the products and for this price point it's hard to beat. Pick it up from eBay for <£25.

Meg's Ultimate Wax is terrible, no disrespect to Porthos but it is one of the worst I have used - but I do love pretty much any other product they do and use their Megs Microfibre Correction System with SUPERB results for a DA.

As stated, make sure your paint is swirl free before any wax and then just use HD Wax, seriously.
Interesting! My Meguires is almost empty so I may try the Autoglym. Thanks

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
chrex said:
Anyone got any experience with the Clearkote Carnauba Moose Wax?
Nope, but considering you get 16oz of the stuff, I wouldn't pay more than £16 for that amount of Carnauba.
But if you fancy it, go for it and let us know :)

Being a natural wax, I find Carnauba only lasts about a month before it needs topping up.
Although I still use Meguiars Gold Class Carnauba wax because it's so easy to put on and take off, love the stuff.

I still struggle with synthetic wax (sealant), it's hard to take off! Don't care how long it's meant to last, lol.

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
Mark_teg said:
Ian, I found the Meguires ultimate wax fine to take off.
You would because you can't see it streaking on white, lol.

Nightmare on darker colours, Karen has the same problem on her NHB.

Leaves a really oily looking film in places, takes some rubbing to remove but that's the same with all sealants I have tried really, they are so grippy they are harder to remove.

Mark_teg

Staff member
PORTHOS said:
Ian, I found the Meguires ultimate wax fine to take off.

You would because you can't see it streaking on white, lol.

Nightmare on darker colours, Karen has the same problem on her NHB.

Leaves a really oily looking film in places, takes some rubbing to remove but that's the same with all sealants I have tried really, they are so grippy they are harder to remove.
Another advantage of having the better colour :)