Any non-serious/expensive ways to increase BHP?

wj51fut

Advanced Member
In a word, no. These cars are at very high tolerances as it is. As mentioned a KPRO or K100 would help you eek out some power and fuel consumption. Spare wheel is 13kg. But if you get a puncture... Also there is no weight in the back so the spare wheel helps with the balance. Stripping the car is easy but noisy to drive.

What is it you are actually after from the car?

Time attack? Track time? Or are you just curious?

integraleo

Advanced Member
gets quite scary when you start adding up the prices to get power out of these. my personal cost is approx.:
RBC and INJEN imported from America was around £500 all in
DC sports manifold ( second hand but almost new ) £220
gaskets for rbc £30
3" custom exhaust £475
k100 and map £690
fitting costs around £40 from my mate
add in the map tweak ( new exhaust) and fuel costs to get to and from eurospec £300

so that's £2255 ish ive spent so far to achieve a figure just shy of 240bhp on eurospecs dyno
if you assume my car standard with 100k without all those parts would have probably achieved in the region of 205bhp ( was 212 with rbc and old exhaust and injen before k100 tune)
Then that's £2255 for a peak increase of 35bhp. not cheap by anyones standards, but at the same time I would do it all again because I love my car and driving it now is so much more fun than when it was standard.
Hand on heart if I was to go back to standard car now I would probably sell it.
once I add in my wheel refurb last year and new wheels and spoiler I just bought, along with eibach springs, camber bolts and arms, FRSU, Jun front bumper, carbon Lorraine rc5+ pads, braided lines, brake stopper, custom engine cover, carbon fibre rbc cover and so on and so on it gets quite expensive modding these cars and im not finished yet!!
I modify my cars because I enjoy it but it's not everyone's idea of fun throwing money at a 12 year old car.
My advice to you would be if your going to modify It for power be aware that bolting on a nice shiny exhaust or adding a spanking new induction kit will add maybe 5-7 hp....getting those mods tuned on k100 or kpro will add in the region of 15-20hp above your standard figure with MASSIVELY increased mid range punch of around 30/40hp. If your going to do it, do it once and do it right

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
integraleo said:
gets quite scary when you start adding up the prices to get power out of these. my personal cost is approx.:
RBC and INJEN imported from America was around £500 all in
DC sports manifold ( second hand but almost new ) £220
gaskets for rbc £30
3" custom exhaust £475
k100 and map £690
fitting costs around £40 from my mate
add in the map tweak ( new exhaust) and fuel costs to get to and from eurospec £300

so that's £2255 ish ive spent so far to achieve a figure just shy of 240bhp on eurospecs dyno
if you assume my car standard with 100k without all those parts would have probably achieved in the region of 205bhp ( was 212 with rbc and old exhaust and injen before k100 tune)
Then that's £2255 for a peak increase of 35bhp. not cheap by anyones standards, but at the same time I would do it all again because I love my car and driving it now is so much more fun than when it was standard.
Hand on heart if I was to go back to standard car now I would probably sell it.
once I add in my wheel refurb last year and new wheels and spoiler I just bought, along with eibach springs, camber bolts and arms, FRSU, Jun front bumper, carbon Lorraine rc5+ pads, braided lines, brake stopper, custom engine cover, carbon fibre rbc cover and so on and so on it gets quite expensive modding these cars and im not finished yet!!
I modify my cars because I enjoy it but it's not everyone's idea of fun throwing money at a 12 year old car.
My advice to you would be if your going to modify It for power be aware that bolting on a nice shiny exhaust or adding a spanking new induction kit will add maybe 5-7 hp....getting those mods tuned on k100 or kpro will add in the region of 15-20hp above your standard figure with MASSIVELY increased mid range punch of around 30/40hp. If your going to do it, do it once and do it right
I don't think anyone could ask for a better response than that really. It gives me an idea of potential future mods and costs, personally I will find it very useful.

Thanks.

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
LiamGTR said:
Sell up!? Shit the bed, is it because I don't have tits why I can't stay?
No, it's just that N/A tuning will cost you an arm and leg, ha ha...

beppe786

Beppe
no point in spending that money for such a little gain.. just supercharger it and your have nearly 300bhp at the wheels

your be surprised how far the standard ecu give you power mine was around 235 on standard ecu

Snowdrift

I'd agree that the cheapest way for more power is to sell and buy something else. I bought mine with plans to boost it but after having a good think about it, I'm probably going to sell it and look for something else. Shame as i do still like the car.

I've heard bolt on's and a map do chamge the car though.

Saint Matt

Advanced Member
When I had my DC5 I took the spare wheel out and made a "spacer" out of polystyrene for under the boot floor, stopped all that and weighed in at around a kilo max

leejw87

Spoon Whore
Unfortunatley theres no way of increasing your power for nothing, the nearest you will get is stripping interior and anything you feel is unnecessary.

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Surely just a very good oil, new spark plugs, new filters etc, clearence check, good fuel, good tyres, clean throttle body, and regular maintainance should make it run alot smoother and "quicker". That would be the first thing, to extract all possible BHP from the standard engine rather than buying bolt ons first. :)

mike.williams

Advanced Member
if i could do it all again it would a be a 5.1fd, aem cold air intake (by the bumper) and a catback exhaust for a slight gain but mostly noise

i wouldnt spend money on ecu or exhaust manifold again, i would put it into the chassis instead

Dan34

Advanced Member
mike.williams said:
if i could do it all again it would a be a 5.1fd, aem cold air intake (by the bumper) and a catback exhaust for a slight gain but mostly noise

i wouldnt spend money on ecu or exhaust manifold again, i would put it into the chassis instead
Wise words. Hence why I'm going for handling mods for now. Maybe K100/KPro will happen one day but definitely not in a rush anymore, after going on track a few times now I want to improve my driving and the handling of the car! Much more rewarding.

mike.williams

Advanced Member
Dan34 said:
Wise words. Hence why I'm going for handling mods for now. Maybe K100/KPro will happen one day but definitely not in a rush anymore, after going on track a few times now I want to improve my driving and the handling of the car! Much more rewarding.
good to hear

on track your at the top of the rev range anyway, i only notice the k100 because of the lower vtec engagement on the road

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
beppe786 said:
no point in spending that money for such a little gain.. just supercharger it and your have nearly 300bhp at the wheels

your be surprised how far the standard ecu give you power mine was around 235 on standard ecu
Out of curiousity, how much roughly would it cost to go down the supercharged route including labour, ECU whether that's KPRO or something else and tuning too?

beppe786

Beppe
Crazylegs said:
Out of curiousity, how much roughly would it cost to go down the supercharged route including labour, ECU whether that's KPRO or something else and tuning too?
if your gonna do it yourself like i am its not that expensive.. just the kit no labour costs. £1500 / £2000 used JRSC easy to stick on yourself

if you dont have a clue you can drive in and out at tdi north or CPL but expect to pay alot more..

jdmsteve

Advanced Member
That's presuming you've already got management. As that is £500/600 on top which will then cost around 400+ for mapping.

Something else to bare in mind to make the most out of it all your better of fitting a full exhaust with decat and a decent air intake to make better power. mount inserts are also advised

It's not cheap. But definitely worth it 😉