any1 used spoon breaks

dc5ian

Advanced Member
anyone used spoon break pads, discs and calipers,, what are they like

did do a quick search but as u can imagine when u type "spoon" in alot of stuff will come up.. none relevant to my question

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
they won't be as good as the oem brembos as theres less pad area.
if you want an upgrade then get some decent discs, (the j's racing ones have lasted me well and have withstood stacks of track work, Paul G s kit works well too.

raz786

Advanced Member
Would there be a positive effect running the standard caliper and pads with the Spoon Drilled Discs?

BadBadtz

Advanced Member
raz786 said:
Would there be a positive effect running the standard caliper and pads with the Spoon Drilled Discs?
Yes. Drilled discs offer improved cooling and deglazing so will reduce fade.

Project

Advanced Member
I've always wondered about this, which was better, drilled or grooved? I know that companies llike Ferrari use drilled where as Koenigsegg use grooved, is there actually any difference?

BadBadtz

Advanced Member
Project said:
I've always wondered about this, which was better, drilled or grooved? I know that companies llike Ferrari use drilled where as Koenigsegg use grooved, is there actually any difference?
I believe they both have their pro's and con's.
Drilled improves heat dissipation but are prone to cracking around the holes
Grooved deglazes the pads better

jostrom

Advanced Member
Grooved disc make the pads wear a lot quicker due to scraping them. It does give a better feel though. I had to make a choice between OEM discs and Mugen discs due to brake pad wear. At track I could get about 3 track days with OEM discs before they started warping. Mugen grooved discs did not warp and gave a slightly better feel but they ate a pair of brake pads per track day... It was cheaper to replace the OEM discs.

Paul G

Members
Drilled discs are very prone to cracking.....

Grooved discs are best i would say, pad wear should not be a prob as long as yr using the right pads - i run the grooved discs all the time on track and the pads wear down at aprox 1mm per t.day, i'd say thats fine.

But full race spec pads will get the discs very hot...

Paul.

jostrom

Advanced Member
I've run OEM pads and both Ferodo DS2500/DS3000 pads with the Mugen discs. They did wear a lot, OEM pads crumbled. I was using Spoon calibers as well.