anybody worried about aem hydro locking?

benny

Advanced Member
went to the pub tonight to meet a few friends down some country lanes, and the rain up north tonight was pretty severe, comin out of the pub it had stopped and dried up slightly so country lanes and a dc5 i do what we do, round a corner down into a dip!!! and MY GOD i thought i drove into a river, the water must have been over the wheels! it had all collected in this dip and i hit about 40 the car got soaked!a huge wave went over the car, this huge puddle that was more like lake windermere was about 10-15 metres long, so i just carried on though, thought no point slowing down now! lol the water slowed the car down! after the car idled funny for about 2-3 minutes, but then fine! got home checked the cone! and dry as a bone! unlike the rest of the car!!!!
so i can be pretty sure any fears anyone has can be quashed! good road test i think!!!!

moggs

Advanced Member
Its happened to a few civic boys so would imagine it can happen to ours too. Is the cone in the arch area or bay?

benny

Advanced Member
they must have driven through a river! this was no puddle! lol on mine it just above the gear box.

DC5TU

Advanced Member
your funny idle was probably water in the electrics

if the cone was dry then it probably didnt get water logged!

hydrolocking (hydraulicing actually) is usually only an issue with CAIs with the filter low down in the bumper

drivebymonkey

Advanced Member
as long as you dont stop, or drive quick enough to cause a bow wave (which could flood your exhaust) you should be ok. never change gear whilst going through the water and slip the clutch to keep the revs up so the exhaust wont flood.

also try not to drive through water that is more than about 30 or 40 cm deep unless you have a snorkel fitted... although im not sure of the part number for the DC5!! :lol: :lol:

Gunn79

Advanced Member
On my old EP3 with an AEM CAI, only time I had a problem was driving for 45 mins in torrential rain on the motorway. Car became hesitant, and when I checked the filter back home, it was saturated!

gizzmo200

Advanced Member
Same here,driving through really bad rain the other day the car became really hesitant and held back when i hit v-tec,didnt check the filter but pretty much sure was the aem cai as when the rain stopped it was fine.reason i am now looking for a gruppe m,anyone want to sell??? :)

gizzmo200

Advanced Member
Has anyone had experience with these as if they are any good i'll get one,i know it won't stop any hydrolocking when driveing through a flood but will it keep my aem dry or will it affect performance?????any info would be great,thanks

LeeH

Advanced Member
It has been said CPL did a back to back test and found no loss.

Seem strange to me :?

gizzmo200

Advanced Member
I used to have a bypass valve on my aem on my dc2 but dont on my dc5,i know these stop any full on water getting up to the intake,but i have a problem with a soaked air filter(which cant be good)which is why im wondering how good these sheilds are,anyone tried them????

benny

Advanced Member
no mate, its just the aem pipe, stuck onto the throttle body, trust me, unless it sits down the front by the rad there is nothing to worry about, i reckonmend these, they sound awesome, the puddle was extemly deep and the car got covered in a wave lol! and ive got a bonnet with big vents in where all the water went!I shit myself, thought it would have killed my poor little teg!! lol

gizzmo200

Advanced Member
Anyone have any more input on these hydro shields as i dont want to buy one and they loose power etc.Any info would be great.Thanks