Anyone changed the rear engine mount?

darrenk

Just wondering if anyone has changed one thereselfs and how hard the are to change? I'm quite capable but will only have an afternoon to do it and just wondering if there is any tips on the best way and will I need an engine crane?

Any help will be great.

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
I think when I did mine I had the car on axle stands and then used a jack under the engine to keep it from dropping.

It also helps to spray wd40 or silicone spray on the inserts to make them slide in much easier.

darrenk

Yeah I did think that my jack with a bit of wood will be fine under the engine to support it. Just the mount is not coming untill tuesday and I need to do a 250 mile drive on Wednesday morning so need to make sure I can get it done in time. I just had my clutch done so the bolts will be fairly free. How long did it take you?

Thanks for the quick reply

ollydc5

Advanced Member
Did this job recently, pretty easy job. I also put up the car on stands and then used a jack to hold the engine weight. The only problem I hit was having to drop the exhaust mani from the block just to the side. Pretty easy no drop of subframe or any other stuff like I was told, I fitted some hasport mounts and only found getting the mount to line up slightly tricky as was a snug fit. Quite a pleasant job to be fair, good luck. Olly

darrenk

Thanks everyone. also what part of the engine did you use the jack on? I'm hoping it should be fine.

leejw87

Spoon Whore
Thanks everyone. also what part of the engine did you use the jack on? I'm hoping it should be fine.
If your only replacing the back one you won't need to support the engine, when I did mine I just removed the heat shield from around the intermidiate driveshaft bearing and it slipped straight out.

darrenk

Well that will be good if it is like that. Just don't want the engine to move or put the jack through my sump.

leejw87

Spoon Whore
Well that will be good if it is like that. Just don't want the engine to move or put the jack through my sump.
The engine won't move at all as it's all ready got 3 other mounts supporting it, you would only need to support it if you were doing the 2 outer mounts.

I never used anything to support my engine when I did my esmm's and it didn't move abit even when I tried pushing the engine forward to get abit more room at the back.

darrenk

Ok that's cool. I didn't think it would just wanted to make sure. Hopefully it will be easy enough.