Anyone daily a plated diff?

Silly question perhaps guys but does anyone here daily a Teg with a plated diff?

I understand how they work, what's required etc but I was just looking for some real world feedback please. :)

Cheers

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Not really daily, as I used my DC5 and now FD2 once or twice a week, but I guess I have a fair amount of real world experience.

They are far more aggressive on the road compared to a helical type. You will get low speed maneuvering judder and depending on the type of diff and how aggressive it's setup, you'll get the clunk clunk clunk noises. It's a pain in all honesty and people will stare at you thinking you have a broken car.

You have to be mindful of where the front wheels are pointing when you give it some beans, because the car will go where it's pointing to, even in the wet with AD08R tyres. This can be problematic on overtakes where you need both hands on the wheel throughout the whole maneuver because if you switch off the car can pull you into a bush etc.

I think it would become too much on a car you're commuting in, but if you use it seldomly, the increase in performance especially on track is more than worth it. Along with a big brake kit, it's one of the best mods you can make and makes you wonder how you ever managed with a helical diff.

I'd be tempted to pay a little extra and get the KAAZ super Q one which has WPC coating which lasts longer and is meant to be quieter. Mine barely made any noise in the DC5 but now clunks when cold in the FD2. That said I'm not running any friction modifier in the FD2 which may quieten it down.

Fez

Advanced Member
I had one on my civic, It was stripped out, just 2 buckets no radio etc, and it was dailyed every day for 5 years until i put the diff in, it really ruined the car for me so I stopped using it daily and kept it just for track, but rarely did track days as i really didnt want to drive the car 😂

It pulls the car everywhere when you're not on the power and when parking etc its clunking away and it sounds like your driveshafts are snapping, its not enjoyable lol.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
My friend runs a plated diff in is EG Turbo and it was a road/track car stripped out with only two seats etc until he fitted the diff. As soon as he did he took it off the road, he said it was the best and worst thing he ever done, made it unusable on the road but great for track days.

Its the only thing he has done to the car he wished he hadn't now as he misses using it more than he has/can at present

Richie200

Advanced Member
I do. It came with the car, although wasn‘t shimmed properly originally so was no where near as noticeable or harsh to drive as it is now.

In all honesty, Chris has summed it up perfectly.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
To add to my post, regardless if the car is a daily or not, I'd only fit one again if the car was visiting a track multiple times a year. For a car which is road only, the negatives outweigh the positives in my opinion.

Altecians

Advanced Member
Just to add 2 cents here. I've got a plated diff in mine and was dailying it before it went into storage.
I didn't have any of the juddering or clunking at all with regular driving but the change in grip was very noticeable xthumbsup .

If the noise is what concerns you I'd suggest having a read on OS Giken LSDs. Best decision I ever made on the 5.

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/engines-transmission/34309-differential-review-oem-jdm-quaife-os-giken.html

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=666834

Altecians

Advanced Member
christhesecond said:
Noise doesn't bother me in the slightest. More like am I going to want to hang myself after doing it every day for a month. :D
Well then I'd say you are about half way there if noise doesnt bother you!
It will be a different car if you are quite use to how the car tells you it's limits in the corners.
Bear in mind you will have to service these diffs with regular oil changes.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Does a plated diff sound similar to a whining noise of a straight cut gearbox or is it different?

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
Does a plated diff sound similar to a whining noise of a straight cut gearbox or is it different?
No, it's different. They only make a noise at slow speed when the two wheels are moving at a different speed to each other, ie cornering etc.

christhesecond said:
How often do they need oil changes realistically?
Oil change every year and then pulled out of the box to be serviced every 3 or so. Obviously depends on mileage and use.

Midnight

Advanced Member
Anyone using the M Factory version?

Been advised to go with one when having an aggressive final drive!

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
christhesecond said:
Maybe one if I can get my permission slip stamped.
I really think you'll regret having one fitted unless using it on the track often.

Midnight said:
Anyone using the M Factory version?

Been advised to go with one when having an aggressive final drive!
I was advised by two different race teams to go with the Kaaz. That said I think Kevin runs M Factory and hasn't complained.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Chris. said:
No, it's different. They only make a noise at slow speed when the two wheels are moving at a different speed to each other, ie cornering etc.

Oil change every year and then pulled out of the box to be serviced every 3 or so. Obviously depends on mileage and use.
Cheers Chris.