Anyone fitted a temp gauge??

dylski

I want to keep an aye on my oil temp and was wondering if anyone has fitted an oil temp gauge or knows any thing about it?? like how hard and how long it takes to fit? and which one to go for?

cheers lads

Stoo

Whining.....
You will need to fit an oil filter sandwhich plate to be able to take an oil temperature feed.

Simple job, depending on how mechanically minded you are.

I fitted DEFI oil temp and pressure gauges to mine.
You'll have to drop the oil to do it.

TyperItr

Advanced Member
Its easy. I fitted 3 gauges into my car. Oil pressure, oil temperature and a soon to be used boost. I just ran the wires through the same location the wiring for the ECU goes into the engine and then along the bottom behind the dash to the gauge. As stated above you need an oil sandwich plate, this simply fits between your oil filter and the engine block. the sandwich plate is already threaded so it screws in where the oil filter used to screw on. Then the oil filter screws onto the sandwich plate. So you need to it when changing your oil. Then the temp/pressure sensor screws into the sandwich plate. Simple.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
You will need to fit an oil filter sandwhich plate to be able to take an oil temperature feed.

Simple job, depending on how mechanically minded you are.

I fitted DEFI oil temp and pressure gauges to mine.
You'll have to drop the oil to do it.

without trying to be picky you dont have to drop the oil , but you will need to remove the oil filter. this can be done with minimal mess with some careful positioning of some rags, you can even reuse the filter as long as it didnt get damaged during removal

Stoo

Whining.....
Thats a good point actually bud.

Thinking about it, when I did mine, I fitted a baffled sump at the same time, hence the oil draining :)

cpoh

Advanced Member
Ive got defi oil and and pressure gauges on mine too, you'll need the controller if you go with defi along with the gauges themselves.

What are peoples oil temp and pressure fully warmed up at idle?

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
Lol stoo, yep you are going to struggle to fit a baffled sump without draining the oil.

TyperItr

Advanced Member
pressure is around 6 when cruising at 120kph. Then when idling when warm areoud 2.5. And as said earlier oil temp is around 80 but i have seen it past 100 a good few times

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
Maybe a simple answer, but does the sandwich plate screw on to the already existing oil cooler? This would then mean you have an oil filter - sandwich plate - oil cooler - block?

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
Yes tricker exactly that assuming you mean the oem cooler, you need to think about the senders you are going to fit and any other pipes ( like an external cooler for example) so you position the plate well

Stoo

Whining.....
Oh yes!!! Position of the sandwich plate is critical!!

I had oil filter, sandwich plate for gauges, thermostatic oil Cooler take of plate, an then oem Cooler and then the block!!