Anyone Here Got a dc5 without Power steering or ABS?

Type K

Advanced Member
im looking at removing both of these for a engine clean up but im really unsure. My car will be driven often but maybe not as often as a daily. Just wanted to know what its like without these and if its worth doing.

how heavy is the steering without power steering and without abs will i need to uprate my brakes?

dave c

400hp K20
I think you are shooting yourself in the foot taking the power steering out.

Aircon, fair enough no really need for it other than the 1 or 2 hot days we get a year

ABS can be removed no problem.

I can't remember his username but Lee, ("Lee76" I think) removed his power steering and I'm pretty sure he ended up putting it back in and that was on a race car.

Type K

Advanced Member
yeh dave aircons already gone,its the ABS i was concerned about and what it will be like without it.

As for power steering one bad comment is enough to convince me to keep it

dave c

400hp K20
without ABS you will be able to lock your brakes pretty easily if they are uprated disks / pads, stock combo I think you wouldn't notice much difference tbh never really rated the stock setup and hardly ever got the abs to trigger

Type K

Advanced Member
hmm very good point dave, i just thought about this a realised ABS only has a purpose in emergency breaking and if the driver is good enough its near enough pointless anyway

Type K

Advanced Member
cars currently off road and in a state of complete shell, take a look in the gallery section ;)

davidpingu

Advanced Member
What was the main purpose for your idea to remove the power steering? Looks or a few extra bhp?

There are other options to remove the stock pump but still keep assisted steering but it's quite a bespoke setup.

The idea is to replace the stock pump with an idler pulley either from the ep3 or you can buy aftermarket ones and then mount an electric pump low down in the engine bay oout of site. Typical donor pump is from a 95 sort of age MR2.

I was really keen on doing this myself as it cleans up the look of the engine, lowers drag on the engine and gives the advantage of being able to dial in how much assist you want through an adjustment screw on the electric pump. It was a good time for me to look as my current oem pump is shot.

Hondata did this to one of their race car dc5s and the instructions can be found if you search the net.

I wanted tgm to do this due to the various fabrication of hoses etc but unfortunately after phoning countless times and being told I'd get a call back I just couldn't get hold of Tom for a good fortnight. Gave up at the finish. My pump completely broke Friday so have had to buy oem to at least get it back on the road.

Bit frustrating but have decided to go for the Buddyclub lightened pulleys now instead which are said to give a few more hp too and reduce drag.

lee76

Advanced Member
I removed the power steering on the race car. It freed up some horsepower, simplified the engine bay and reduced the weight. I run 9" wide rims with Yokohama World Touring car slicks and a plate type LSD. The weight of the steering was fine just heavy at low speeds the only issue I had was my arms cramping up during racing I could last for 15 odd laps so I fitted a remote electric pump. With a std diff or a silly Quaife atb it would probably be ok.

Bonito

Advanced Member
I would not recommend removing ABS if you're going to use the car on the road. I'm pretty sure you'd have to declare it to insurance, too.

Type K

Advanced Member
davidpingu said:
What was the main purpose for your idea to remove the power steering? Looks or a few extra bhp?

There are other options to remove the stock pump but still keep assisted steering but it's quite a bespoke setup.

The idea is to replace the stock pump with an idler pulley either from the ep3 or you can buy aftermarket ones and then mount an electric pump low down in the engine bay oout of site. Typical donor pump is from a 95 sort of age MR2.

I was really keen on doing this myself as it cleans up the look of the engine, lowers drag on the engine and gives the advantage of being able to dial in how much assist you want through an adjustment screw on the electric pump. It was a good time for me to look as my current oem pump is shot.

Hondata did this to one of their race car dc5s and the instructions can be found if you search the net.

I wanted tgm to do this due to the various fabrication of hoses etc but unfortunately after phoning countless times and being told I'd get a call back I just couldn't get hold of Tom for a good fortnight. Gave up at the finish. My pump completely broke Friday so have had to buy oem to at least get it back on the road.

Bit frustrating but have decided to go for the Buddyclub lightened pulleys now instead which are said to give a few more hp too and reduce drag.
thanks for the info. The main purpose for the PS to go is to clear the engine bay up but i was never that keen on doing it however this electric pump seems interesting i just wonder how reliable it will be and if its worth the effort.

The abs is the one i want to get rid of the most as two of my sensors are already damaged and that will clear a lot more room up in the bay.The only time i can see this effecting me is under harsh breaking and if i let the brakes lock.

Bonito

Advanced Member
I know my DC5 inside out and it's capabilities both on and off track and I wouldn't remove the ABS. The rear brakes are to keep the car stable under heavy braking. The DC5 can be a bit tail happy at certain times in certain conditions. If you're on a b-road and panic tap the brakes and the rear locks, even for just that split millisecond, your chances of holding the car straight are lower.

I'm not saying it's going to be that simple to lock the rear and I'm not saying you wouldn't be able for such conditions should they occur. It just wouldn't be a mod for me but let us know how you get on and how it affects the driveability of the car.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
ABS removal is not a great idea, if you do you will need a bias /proportioning valve to get some balance front and rear, and its very easy to get the abs to activate on track and can be a life saver in the wet, but it is definately more difficult than on other cars,

why not just hide it instead? it could be plumbed in anywhere

Type K

Advanced Member
C&S Evo7 said:
ABS removal is not a great idea, if you do you will need a bias /proportioning valve to get some balance front and rear, and its very easy to get the abs to activate on track and can be a life saver in the wet, but it is definately more difficult than on other cars,

why not just hide it instead? it could be plumbed in anywhere
Hiding it could be an option but not looked into this tbh.Any idea of how this would work?

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
if you extend the hard lines and wiring you could in theory put the distribution unit/pump anywhere , maybe behind the front bumper ?

eXceed

Resident Driver
No powersteering is NOT fun in a road car, keep that kind of solution for the track only. Even then you'll be shooting yourself in the foot after several laps...

Don't know if the reply is a little late.

I ran a evo with 400bhp and no ABS. It's fine as long as you know how to brake properly. I had uprated brakes and had no issues and never locked up under braking, even on a track. With regards to power steering - not ideal but liveable.