Anyone know this DC5?

Edgars

Hi,
I'm new to honda world.
I am planning to buy DC5, but my budget is bit limited due to recent house buying.
I was wondering if anyone knows someone who has owned this DC5:

What raises my suspicion is that it has been imported in 2015 and since then has had 9 owners, thats like less than year on average per keeper.
Since it has so many owners , I thought maybe someone here has owned it or knows who has owned it?

Any info would be much appreciated!

Thank you

VtecPaul

Advanced Member
That car is changing hands quicker than I have hot dinners!
I don’t understand or know why though, although one reason was that it was raffled off by Dream Car Giveaways, but since the winner won it, it’s changed hands A LOT.
Personally, unless it’s really well priced, I’d steer clear. Not necessarily because something is wrong with it, but because it’d be difficult to sell on if you ever decided to.

Plenty more great DC5s out there for sale.

VtecPaul

Advanced Member
Just seen it’s up for auction. The advert sends alarm bells for me:

engine management light Flashing on and off
Vendor stating it drives “fierce” - sounds like they’re ignoring the engine management issue!

Edgars

Well, thats what I thought - car might have some deeper issue hence he sells on auction at very low reserve. You are allowed to view it but not test drive it.
I called them up and they say that they have only driven 1,2 gear for about 1 mile to record video and car apparently performed well. He said it was not even warmed up to temperature , how can he say its 'fierce' :)
Since it has 9 owners , it begs the question if car looks that good visually, then how come none of keepers wanted to hold on to it, because these cars do appreciate in value.

VtecPaul

Advanced Member
Exactly!
However; just a comment here - the car is worth more than the estimate in parts alone I’d say. I am certain that the regular breakers of Hondas will be bidding and I expect it to sell for more.

Edgars

I wouldn't expect it to sell for less than 10k. If it did sell in that range, it would be a bargain if not for 9 previous owners and unknown check engine light.
Also to note - auction charges 15% of biding price. Have to be aware of that when placing bid in order not to overpay.

9 owners puts me off more than that check engine light. I wouldn't mind to put in some work in diagnostics and all, but 9 owners would not make it easy to sell it when time come nor to hold the value of car.

VtecPaul

Advanced Member
Just google the reg plate. (With the space has more findings)
You’ll see many photos of this car on DCG and other forums / posts too. You can determine a lot of the history through that.
maybe same on social media too.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Yeah been on a few trackdays with a few of the last owners of this car in the past, it was an ok car back them, from memory they both sold up reasonably quickly to move onto other brands

carl hammond

Advanced Member
I wouldn't expect it to sell for less than 10k. If it did sell in that range, it would be a bargain if not for 9 previous owners and unknown check engine light.
Also to note - auction charges 15% of biding price. Have to be aware of that when placing bid in order not to overpay.

9 owners puts me off more than that check engine light. I wouldn't mind to put in some work in diagnostics and all, but 9 owners would not make it easy to sell it when time come nor to hold the value of car.
If the car's a good one don't let a number of owners put you off. This is something I learned the hard way when buying my Lotus. I didn't even consider a few cars as they had loads of owners, some more than 9, but it seems this is normal in the world of lotus etc (or common I guess not normal) as many buy them for a year or so to have had the experience and then find them at times hard to live with as you have to drop into them and getting in and outs a nightmare. I got lucky with mine as it's a low owners car but some trust me were shockingly high and put me off, when it seems they shouldn't have and so I missed two very good and rare cars which would have made me a fair chunk of money also.

Sometimes people buy something expecting it to be as good as they want it to and are either disappointed or feel a little let down and so shift it on, some impulse buy and then sell and so on. If the cars good the cars good, look for condition and history over anything else as any number of scenarios or factors can impact a number of owners a cars had

Edgars

I guess, if the price reflects the amount of owners , then I would still be interested. Clearly it hasn't sold for 13k .

When Icalled up auction place , they said that current owner selling this car because he is relocating somewhere. Not sure if story is legit or not, but it could explain why reserve is low as he needs it to get sold.

I have a question. Advert says it has KPro 4 ecu. would that mean that I could download hondata app and connect to ecu via bluetooth?
Auction place does not let test drive, but they might let you to turn ignition on to read diagnostics - might give an idea why that check engine light comes on intermittently.

DE4NO

A DC5 with that mileage in good condition with good history would be worth about £15k. I thought it was cheap when I seen it up for £13k.
It is possible that the seller needs to get rid sharpish hence why it’s gone to auction. There’s not much to go wrong on these really. Check what you can, rust, paintwork and signs of accident damage etc. With regards to mechanicals it’s all a gamble. Engine could be fine, but for all you know could have ran low on oil and could be knackered.

VtecPaul

Advanced Member
If this sells for less than £10k, it could be worth it IMO because if all else fails, breaking it would get most of that back and if it’s easily fixable then there’s a bit of money to do so without spending more than it’s worth. IMO

Edgars

It just sold on auction for £12750 and since auction house charges 15% , that adds up to £14662. I think its a bit much for 9 owners and check engine light.

DE4NO

It just sold on auction for £12750 and since auction house charges 15% , that adds up to £14662. I think its a bit much for 9 owners and check engine light.
Agreed. Whoever's bought it better hope the EML is a simple and cheap fix as its a £15k car in reality.