Anyone NOT had their DC5 undersealed?

LiamGTR

Advanced Member
After recently finding out my 5 isn't undersealed it's pretty much rained ever since and not sure I'll get another dry week to get it done now this year.

This will be the cars first winter here on the road, It's not all doom and gloom.. is it?

Dan34

Advanced Member
Don't leave it, soon as the salt drops on the road it'll find its way into all the nooks and crannies! haha

DC5RS

DC5
only thing i like of this country is the 10 months a year sun.. no need for this mods

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Thought about paying a garage to do it? Get them to steam clean everything underneath with chemical cleaners and it will dry out quickly then. I bought my own waxoil and paid £100 for the labour. Judging by your previous post about how it looked underneath I wouldn't want it going through another winter without personally but then I am a bit ocd about stuff like that. Mine was totally rust free but was still having sleepless nights at the thought of the gritters being out before I got it done!

Alexander0628

Advanced Member
I gonna be using my teg as a daily drive so i have been thinking the same thing, I have had the wheels off and the car on a ramp, not to bad but there is surface rust creeping up on a lot of things, normally you would expect it but on a 8 year old car it is abit more than i would expect. So even for piece of mind i have started cleaning up and waxoiling it my self before the weather changes for the worse. But there are a few post on here about people having it done and after the amount of mess I made cleaning up the wheel arches, I'm gonna look into booking it into a garage to have the underneath cleaned up and re-sealed. Better safe than sorry :).

LiamGTR

Advanced Member
davidpingu said:
Thought about paying a garage to do it? Get them to steam clean everything underneath with chemical cleaners and it will dry out quickly then. I bought my own waxoil and paid £100 for the labour. Judging by your previous post about how it looked underneath I wouldn't want it going through another winter without personally but then I am a bit ocd about stuff like that. Mine was totally rust free but was still having sleepless nights at the thought of the gritters being out before I got it done!
I'd definitely be getting a garage to do it but I got told I need to have like a weeks worth of sun beforehand and then he'll need the car for 2 days, that's just not practical for me unfortunately :(

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Not necessary at all mate. Find someone else. Like I said, I'd want it steam cleaned first anyway so that will aid the drying process. I had a bodyshop do mine so they can always put it in the oven for a couple hours. I had mine all done same day but if you're that worried about it drying out get the steam clean done the night before and leave it stand in a warm workshop or oven overnight. The steam and chemicals should displace most of the moisture. Seriously a better option than just leaving it.

LiamGTR

Advanced Member
davidpingu said:
Not necessary at all mate. Find someone else. Like I said, I'd want it steam cleaned first anyway so that will aid the drying process. I had a bodyshop do mine so they can always put it in the oven for a couple hours. I had mine all done same day but if you're that worried about it drying out get the steam clean done the night before and leave it stand in a warm workshop or oven overnight. The steam and chemicals should displace most of the moisture. Seriously a better option than just leaving it.
The fact you've said all done on same day makes me feel a LOT better :) I'll get in contact with a few local body shops now thanks David

Erm

Advanced Member
I got mine done at a bodyshop and it went in the oven to dry it out quicker.

si vti

Advanced Member
I painted mine, took days and days to do! It will never go out in the winter though.

Body shop plan is the way forward, everything needs to be dry and clean, otherwise the undercoat turns into an overcoat and seals all what's left in!

LiamGTR

Advanced Member
All sorted. All done in a day because the guy had a Bodyshop and used his heater

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Shortstuff

Advanced Member
I had mine done in November by TGM.

Sadly it had been in the country 5 years not undersealed

maxvr6

Advanced Member
Same here, had mine done in December, didnt look like it had been done before.

LiamGTR

Advanced Member
Riz said:
How much was it if you don't mind me asking?
It cost me £100 and he only had the car a few hours.

Probably isn't perfect but at least there is something on it for this winter. Will look at getting it done 'properly' next year