Anyone refurbed their calipers a while back?

JezW

Advanced Member
I'm thinking of refurbing my calipers. From what I've read, the normal process is:

1. sand down
2. high temp caliper paint
3. high temp lacquer
4. brembo decal

A friend reckons that to do it properly, I need to mask them off and get them sandblasted, this is the only way to get a good enough surface for the paint to bind to. He thinks that if I just sand them down then at first they'll look good, but in less than a year the paint will start to come off.

So, I'm wondering if anyone has refurbished their calipers without sandblasting and the paint is still looking good a year or more on?

On another note...I just found these guys: http://www.brake-caliper-painting.com/ I'm living in Nottingham where they're based...too tempting! Maybe on Monday I'll drive over and see their work..

Mark_teg

Staff member
It's normally only the lacquer that peals, the paint underneath remains ok.

I picked away at the peeling, rubbed them down gently with scotchbrite (they're pink at this point) then re-lacquered.

Admittedly, they have started to peel again. But it's only minor at the moment and my £10 refurb has lasted about 5 years! :)

JezW

Advanced Member
Nice, you didn't have to replace the decals? Or are they painted?

Mark_teg

Staff member
Nice, you didn't have to replace the decals? Or are they painted?

I didn't, was very careful.

civic17_99

Advanced Member
I did mine without sandblasting. Just rubbed them down with some wet and dry to get them nice and smooth. Followed by a couple of coats of primer followed by a couple of coats of top coat. I put the lacquer on after the Brembo logos were put on. This is how they turned out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

maxvr6

Advanced Member
Looking good, I have to get round to this soon if the weather ever improves :roll: