Anyone tried replacing the knock sensor themselves?

Reggie91

Advanced Member
So my EML had come on and I did the self diagnosis with the old paper clip trick haha.

Turns out my knock sensor has gone! Has anyone tried replacing their knock sensor themselves? If so did the error clear itself or did you have to get it done professionally?

Thanks

Reggie

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Reggie91 said:
So my EML had come on and I did the self diagnosis with the old paper clip trick haha.

Turns out my knock sensor has gone! Has anyone tried replacing their knock sensor themselves? If so did the error clear itself or did you have to get it done professionally?

Thanks

Reggie
The knock sensor is located just under the inlet manifold. Depending on how small your hands are, you can change it without removing the manifold.

When you replace it, you can just use a cheap £10 code reader to reset the fault on the ECU.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Reggie91

Advanced Member
SamDC5 said:
The knock sensor is located just under the inlet manifold. Depending on how small your hands are, you can change it without removing the manifold.

When you replace it, you can just use a cheap £10 code reader to reset the fault on the ECU.

Apparently there's a way of doing it from underneath (probably have to take the bumper off?)

Chris. said:
You can also clear the code by pulling the ECU fuse for about 10 seconds.
Will this not impact the map? I was going to get my car freshly mapped in the new year from EFI parts or Romain so surely they could reset the code?

SamDC5

Advanced Member
I've not done it myself but I've heard you can do it underneath.

Honestly just order a cheap reader off ebay, saves you messing about jumping pins and risk blowing your ECU. Mines been a god send I've used it countless times. For the sake of £10, you can clear it with a press of a button (and safely).

SamDC5

Advanced Member
There's also a thread on the RSX forums of how to do it without taking the inlet off.

Reggie91

Advanced Member
SamDC5 said:
I've not done it myself but I've heard you can do it underneath.

Honestly just order a cheap reader off ebay, saves you messing about jumping pins and risk blowing your ECU. Mines been a god send I've used it countless times. For the sake of £10, you can clear it with a press of a button (and safely).

Have you got a link to the reader? Does that include for Kpro/K100's?

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Here's the exact one I have in my garage - https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F272713992050

It uses the OBD port to talk to the ECU and just reads the codes stored on it. Don't have to worry about it damaging anything as the port powers the device. I've used it on my DC5 to read a VTC fault and it worked perfectly fine. I've also used it on multiple cars. Always handy to have kicking about too.

Bewesy

Advanced Member
Having recently swapped the starter from above and unplugging the knock sensor in the process to get the wires out of the way I could probably change my knock sensor from below but only having visualised it first. You‘d be doing it be feel alone as I don‘t think you can see it.

Literally one connector to unplug and unscrew it with a deep 24mm (I think) socket and should be easy enough.

Fez

Advanced Member
I've replaced mine myself and i got shovels for hands lol.
I took my intake pipe off (if your battery is still in stock loaction it might be easier to remove that too? And i went in from there under the inlet/tb. You might need to take off one of the inlet brackets too if you still have stock Inlet mani on, Didnt take me long to do.

Reggie91

Advanced Member
Fez said:
I've replaced mine myself and i got shovels for hands lol.
I took my intake pipe off (if your battery is still in stock loaction it might be easier to remove that too? And i went in from there under the inlet/tb. You might need to take off one of the inlet brackets too if you still have stock Inlet mani on, Didnt take me long to do.
Ah that's actually a really good shout! Might do it that way!

How did you get rid of the code? I'll fell a bit weird messing with the ECU myself :S.

Also what did you torque the sensor to?

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Reggie91 said:
Ah that's actually a really good shout! Might do it that way!

How did you get rid of the code? I'll fell a bit weird messing with the ECU myself :S.

Also what did you torque the sensor to?
If you're taking the battery off the code will wipe. Doing that or pulling the fuse without the car running will do zero damage. It also doesn't affect any map on the ECU.

BAD3GG

Advanced Member
I did it by taking the battery and tray out and removing the throttle body and intake, but as said above there's not a lot of room to get your hand in. You'll need a deep 24mm socket various extensions and lots of patience.

I tried to do it from underneath first and it seemed a lot harder, theres lots of brackets in the way and you'll be doing it blind. Either way would still be better than taking the inlet mani off though!

Sent from my TA-1033 using Tapatalk

Liamneale69

I changed mine about 2 weeks ago due to snapping plug when taking starter motor off (ooops) didn‘t know untill I put it all back together but all u need to do it take that bracket off what bolts to the inlet and block Then you can get to it. I‘ve got slab hands aswell just a few scraps here and there but it can be done lol

Reggie91

Advanced Member
So update, I changed my knock sensor last night and to say the old one needed replacing was an understatement. The green bit literally fell off and i barely touched it!

I ended up going through the left of the inlet manifold. It was just about big enough to get my arm in.

Then reconnected the battery and the code has cleared :)

bxlheathsupra

Advanced Member
Done mine a week ago.. too tight to get my arms in even with an rbc... had to semi remove the rbc to get my arms in enough.
Ive used a ebay knock sensor for now which seems to be working.. but watch this space.

badeshi

Advanced Member
I tried this on an ep3 but gave up! Without taking manifold off there is hardly any room up front of those...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Fez

Advanced Member
Yeah ep3's have a little less room, found that out when trying to bleed the wife's clutch lol.