Anyone tried this IACV?

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Hi all, recently my car has started to slip back into its old rev hunting ways just 3 weeks or so since cleaning it. :( Done it a couple of times now, and all have been a success but now its getting stupid. I'm even contemplating getting a whole new TB from hond with all new sensors to eliminate the issue.... but then stumbled across this part number......

looking up about it I can find no conformation that this part number will fit our K20A TB.... looks identical but just don't want to risk buying it if its not going to fit.

yet to try Steels, thought I would ask here first if anyone has had any experience.

James

CORRECT PART NUMBER FOR THE TYPE R IS : 16022-PRC-003

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
If you've got K100 or Kpro then you can get it disabled and blanked off and idle set in the map. This is what I have now

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Sounds bliss, but unfortunately Dan I'm all completely standard. Even original manifold. I have checked for all the usual air leaks etc..., nothing. Everything is spinning free, still doing it. Its fine after a full throttle blip and 15 mins of driving, but it shouldn't be like that.

My thoughts are also a possible TPS maybe, as that's the original one still, but you can't buy an OEM replacement, so I don't want to change to one of them, after reading up about a few reliability issues associated with them.

But I then saw this IACV and though hmmmm.

integraleo

Advanced Member
Had my old iacv cleaned every few months for couple years as it kept on gunking up to the point I bought a new one from honda for £250!! Changed my intake at same time from injen to the teg m....that was over a year ago and no rev hunting issue since ( touch wood)

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Yeah, I think its a bit similar to the common headlight issue,....there is only so much cleaning you can do to it...replacement is the only option. lol

But to be fair, £250 for trouble free traffic jams, cold starts, and with me using it everyday seems pretty good to me. I have just emailed Dave Jonson at Steels, so will wait and see how much he quotes, but this will probably be my next big purchase after my hols when I have acquired a few more tokens.

Was that with all the sensors too mate?

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Let me take a look before you spend £££. Second pair of eyes is always good. 👍

Rom

Advanced Member
coyote_dc5 said:
If you've got K100 or Kpro then you can get it disabled and blanked off and idle set in the map. This is what I have now
Tell me more

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
If you take the iacv off you can place tape over the inlet so it doesn't allow air through it anymore and then bolt it back on. Then in Kpro you disable the iacv and then on the throttle body return screw you wind this out so the revs climb enough to hold an idle. Paul did stuff in map too but not sure what but from what I saw this was the process. I have mine at 1,800rpm now so it can accommodate engine loads like lights, power steering and AC without stalling

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
im sure i read a thread on here that deleting the IACV with kpro isnt ideal in the long term though.... cant remember where i saw it!

will have a look.......

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
integraleo said:
Had my old iacv cleaned every few months for couple years as it kept on gunking up to the point I bought a new one from honda for £250!! Changed my intake at same time from injen to the teg m....that was over a year ago and no rev hunting issue since ( touch wood)
Just to clarify you changed the IACV only mate? not the whole TB?

Many thanks

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Thanks for the clarification mate.

Adam, you are more than welcome too mate. But im saving for a new IACV anyway I think, drove my dads today and its bliss and the quote for that was responsible to be honest. Im going to also check the TPS sensor too with my meter to prove that and hopefully eliminate that from the equation.

Had a quotation from steels for a new complete unit..... lets just say id rather get the same amount of work done as you have just had to your gearbox than buy a new complete TB. Haha so thats not an option.

Rom

Advanced Member
coyote_dc5 said:
If you take the iacv off you can place tape over the inlet so it doesn't allow air through it anymore and then bolt it back on. Then in Kpro you disable the iacv and then on the throttle body return screw you wind this out so the revs climb enough to hold an idle. Paul did stuff in map too but not sure what but from what I saw this was the process. I have mine at 1,800rpm now so it can accommodate engine loads like lights, power steering and AC without stalling
Thanks.

So your saying your idle is now set to a permanent 1800?!

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
Yes correct unless I use steering, brake lights, rear heaters, head lights, AC etc so it will vary between 1,800 being worse case and 900 or so fully loaded up

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Tegiwa Imports said:
We can do the genuine Honda - 16022-PRC-003 (correct part number for DC5) for £230 delivered

Thanks
Was just going to update this with the correct part number. Thanks :)

And at that price, its already a fair bit cheaper than the quote I received from Steels Honda. xthumbup

Plus the forum discount on top of yours Tegiwa,.......you may have a sale in the near future. Many thanks

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
coyote_dc5 said:
Yes correct unless I use steering, brake lights, rear heaters, head lights, AC etc so it will vary between 1,800 being worse case and 900 or so fully loaded up
That seems a really high static (no load) idle. Mine used to idle between 1100rpm and 1200 rpm (IACV and Air Assist Removed), and under load (lights on, window heater, AC on etc) it used to drop to around 800-900rpm.

Deleting the IACV is perfectly fine in my opinion, but if you do, don't remove the air assist valve otherwise cold starting is difficult. If you do remove both a touch of throttle will be required to start from cold and it will idle at around 500rpm until warmed up unless you hold your foot on the throttle.

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
Yes as it happens it does start lower RPM from cold, id say 1,100 or so and then creeps up as it warms up to warn idle of 1,800. I have no issue with it to be honest and its actually not as loud as you may imagine at 1,800. I'm just happy its not hunting every 5mins like before and now something I don't have to worry about.

Tegiwa Imports

Parts Trader
Jimmer said:
Was just going to update this with the correct part number. Thanks :)

And at that price, its already a fair bit cheaper than the quote I received from Steels Honda. xthumbup

Plus the forum discount on top of yours Tegiwa,.......you may have a sale in the near future. Many thanks
Let me know, delivery would be around 1 week.

Thanks

Beefman147

Wingnuttzz said:
That seems a really high static (no load) idle. Mine used to idle between 1100rpm and 1200 rpm (IACV and Air Assist Removed), and under load (lights on, window heater, AC on etc) it used to drop to around 800-900rpm.

Deleting the IACV is perfectly fine in my opinion, but if you do, don't remove the air assist valve otherwise cold starting is difficult. If you do remove both a touch of throttle will be required to start from cold and it will idle at around 500rpm until warmed up unless you hold your foot on the throttle.
Hi. Sorry for hijacking this thread but this post seemed relevant to an issue I am having. The Dc5 i currently own has had the IACV blanked off. It suffers from the exact issue you mentioned where it idles at 500rpm until warmed up but is grand after that.

Is there any way to resolve this? Like a manual idle screw. I believe there is also a pipe blocked with a screw running from the air assist valve like you mentioned.