Anyone using SKUNK2 MEGAPOWER RR 3"

beppe786

Beppe
SKUNK2 MEGAPOWER 65mm 2.5"

SKUNK2 MEGAPOWER R 70mm 2.75"

SKUNK2 MEGAPOWER RR 76mm 3.0"

thinking of buying the SKUNK2 MEGAPOWER RR 76mm 3.0" anyone using it ? any reviews on the dc5? its gonna be loud or might comprise on the 2.75"

need to release all the hp i can Fujitsubo is lovely sounding but only 2.5"

davidpingu

Advanced Member
I remember at least one person bought one, I think it might have been the 70mm and they got rid after a week due to it being so loud.

Don't forget that TDI do a reasonably priced 3 inch system too. I think Dave C is running one and if you look at his build thread it gave him about an extra 30bhp or something ridiculous like that.

Another one is solid fabrications who I believe integraleo used but he's since changed to a kaki due to noise. A lot of the custom systems can be tailored to suit your personal taste so I thought it worth a mention :)

Stuarty

Advanced Member
I had one fitted to my teg when I bought it but have since sold it to my mate as it was too loud. I'm not sure what one it was though. To be honest I would have kept it if it wasn't for the missus and her parents moaning about it because it sounded epic when giving it some.

Great quality aswell plus they look great on the DC5.

Magnum75

Don't post much but do have experience with both types of exhaust.

I had the 70mm on mine after I had my engine built at Clockwise motion. It made good power and torque but...........it is insanely loud.
Recently swapped over to a TDI north 3"". Once mapped lost a couple HP but gained 6 torques.

The comparison is on different dynos, with maps to suit the exhaust at the time so you make whatever judgement you like.

In my opinion, for what it is worth, I prefer the 3"" TDI exhaust but having said that the Skunk2 made good power but I cannot stress enough how loud it was.

The 3"" is actually quite quiet on tickover, give it beans it sounds brilliant.

Brophy

Advanced Member
Never had any but I'm interested in the K tuned one, but some say it sounds pants lol

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
Magnum75 said:
Don't post much but do have experience with both types of exhaust.

I had the 70mm on mine after I had my engine built at Clockwise motion. It made good power and torque but...........it is insanely loud.
Recently swapped over to a TDI north 3"". Once mapped lost a couple HP but gained 6 torques.

The comparison is on different dynos, with maps to suit the exhaust at the time so you make whatever judgement you like.

In my opinion, for what it is worth, I prefer the 3"" TDI exhaust but having said that the Skunk2 made good power but I cannot stress enough how loud it was.

The 3"" is actually quite quiet on tickover, give it beans it sounds brilliant.
Good write up, remember its know TDi dyno is generous so the power differences could be nothing.

How loud is the TDi one by comparison?

Magnum75

Wingnuttzz said:
Good write up, remember its know TDi dyno is generous so the power differences could be nothing.

How loud is the TDi one by comparison?
In comparison the TDI exhaust is a lot quieter. On tick over only a slight rumble you can talk normally. On vtec it sounds great but not too loud, you can hear the noise from a Teg m over the exhaust. At 70mph there is a slight drone but nothing too bad. The skunk2 is like an earthquake, on tick over you have to raise your voice, the ground shakes. In vtec there is no point talking and all you can hear is the exhaust and your ears ringing.

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
Sounds pretty much ideal. Are you running a cat or full aftermarket exhaust manifold

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

CaLi

Vtec Yoooooooo
Wingnuttzz said:
Sounds pretty much ideal. Are you running a cat or full aftermarket exhaust manifold
Whatever exhaust it is, he's running alot of N/A power through it ;)

beppe786

Beppe
my fujitubo sounded completely different when I was NA , maybe boost pressure going through the exhaust changed the tone.. love it but need bigger has holding the car back

k20-outlaw

Advanced Member
I have the 70mm skunk 2, with the standard manifold and cat in place, and it's very loud, like enough to give you a ringing ear after you drive for an hour, it would not suit a daily use car, but for a weekend blast it's unreal, it makes the dc5 sound like a bike, be aware it's not a direct bolt on fit either, the under body has to be modified to fit it, or else it rubs against the body

Magnum75

Wingnuttzz said:
I have a Tegiwa manifold.

k20-outlaw said:
I have the 70mm skunk 2, with the standard manifold and cat in place, and it's very loud, like enough to give you a ringing ear after you drive for an hour, it would not suit a daily use car, but for a weekend blast it's unreal, it makes the dc5 sound like a bike, be aware it's not a direct bolt on fit either, the under body has to be modified to fit it, or else it rubs against the body
When mine was fitted yes it did hit the underside of the body at first, sounded like just under the where the centre console is. It was fixed by adjusting the hangers on the back box section and turning the triangular rubber mount that holds the centre section round by one hole. This then gave enough clearance from the body and it never hit again. In fact it was so snug it never even hit the speed bumps at the top of my road.

darkhawk

Advanced Member
I'd love to hear what these sound like everyone says there ridiculously loud but I can't see how they can be much louder than my old civic with the hks one as that was stupid

Get one beppe and I'll come pop and see :p

They look great to

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Personally I think the loudness suits Honda's as the Skunk2 sounds epic at full chat on any VTEC, makes them sound like a race engine but yes they are loud.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Actually I've just listened to one on Youtube and it sounds terrible.

Custom 3" is probably the way to go.

Adam-f

Advanced Member
I've got a Skunk2 megapower 2.5" sounds incredable! I used to have a Spoon system and I think the skunk2 sounds much better!

integraleo

Advanced Member
Would just like to say yes I had the custom 3" from solid fabrication and it sounded great. Build quality was brilliant and to most of you livable with noise volume...just! On tick over was fine,flat out produced lovely deep sound and gave good power. However at cruising speed did drone in the car to the point of giving me a headache. My old buddyclub on my dc2 was louder but it's the resonance drone of the 3" that gave me headache. The 6 weeks I had it spent 4 of those with bung in. Those of you that are still in your 20s it might be perfectly acceptable to you,but as I'm old now I wanted it quieter and the power loss of going to a smaller exhaust hasn't even been noticeable. And I gained 9.4hp with the 3". If I had to have another I would fit OEM size rear box on it to remove the drone...maybe that's the answer as it already had largest middle silencer fitted

FireDance

Advanced Member
I have the Skunk2 Mega Power R on my EP3 with lots of mods, it is really loud but I love it. Used to use it as a daily & never really bothered me. The sound it makes when Vtec engages is mega!!!!

Also be aware that it will sit lower under that car due to the size so will scrap on speedbumps

Remember: Loud cars saves lives 8)