ARBs or Coilovers?

ekg

Advanced Member
My current set up is Eibach springs with FRSU but I want to stiffen it up / reduce roll. I don't know whether to fit thicker ARBs or opt for coilovers. I have a daily hack so the teg is mainly B-roads with the odd track day. Opinions wanted please, great if you have had both set ups.

Mark-89

When i had my EP3 i had the eibach springs with an FRSU. I was then looking to upgrade the handling a bit more and was thinking of going down the route of coilovers but was told by many people that i would be better with uprated dampers rather than coilovers if its not going to be used on track a lot. This is due to the typical british B road not been as smooth as a track and that would mean most coilovers even on there softest setting would skip.

So i followed peoples advice and got some uprated Bilstein B8 dampers and handling was amazing and also not crashy like most people say coilovers are.

Ive recently sourced myself some EP3 track rod ends so i can fit the Bilstein dampers on my Teg

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
Personally I'd upgrade the ARB's first.

There are a few threads on here about it and that is generally always the general opinion. Your DC5 will handle really well with lowering springs while still being relatively comfortable. Only thing is depending on the age the shocks might be pretty well worn!

An upgraded ARB, such as the Progress 24mm rear one will help keep the car flat in the corners but you'll keep the comfort of OEM shocks and lowering springs.

ekg

Advanced Member
I've read similar things about coilovers. Sounds like I should upgrade the dampers which I hadn't really considered, then maybe arbs later...

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
Problem with the dampers is there is practically nothing for the DC5. OEM will be hilariously expensive and nobody else makes direct fit ones, like Bilstein.

Can fit EP3 ones with EP3 track front ends for the front, and a couple of washer for the rear. Only thing I've always wondered is if the dampening/rebound of EP3 tuned dampers would be a good match for our cars, as Honda obviously felt there a need to be a difference.

ekg

Advanced Member
Yep I've had a look. It seems odd there are any aftermarket dampers for the dc5, which kind of puts me off. I've seen the mugen sport suspension for sale a few times tho. Maybe they are an option....

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
You will find a lot of the Mugen shocks that go for sale on eBay are knackered and are just doing the rounds, someone buys them, realised they are busted and sells them on again.

But there is a set of new HSD coilovers on ebay dirt cheap at the moment

ekg

Advanced Member
If there aren't any suitable uprated dampers I will be looking at a set of Buddy Club coilovers. Didn't really want to fork out but I'm sure they'll be worth it.

chrex

Advanced Member
I'm ordering a set of XYZ coilovers for mine at the end of the month yo replace tein springs :) I had them on my Atr and the ride was so much better than the standard kit. Coilovers are fine so long as the preloads and damping rate are setup right.

Mark_teg

Staff member
Are the Bilstein dampers adjustable? If they are, it won't really matter if they're designed for the EP3 as you can set them to your liking anyway..

Any links to the Bilstein?

Agree with above about the mugen shocks too, but you get them refurbished first?..

Also, the eibach spring kits are for the EP3 as well as the Teg, and we have no complaints :)

chrex

Advanced Member
None of the Holstein shocks are adjustable but having had a couple of sets of b8s on other cars, they are fantastic bits of kit!

When under compression they give alot of control if you hit an uneven surface mid corner. They dont throw the car off with rebound...they compliment a good set of springs well.

Got them on my mrs tigra too...and although its eibach springs up front, the rears are 100mm customs so its decked and yet the shocks work well to keep everything in check.