Arc air intake

delsoljon86

Advanced Member
Can anyone who owns one or has owned one give me their views and opinions in the kit hopefully someone who has experienced other intake systems to compare

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chrismartin

Advanced Member
delsoljon86 said:
Anyone??

Hi Jon

Just finally fitted my Arc intake today. I can't give you a full detailed view against every other intake out there but I can give you some comparisons to oem and Gruppe M.

When I had the Gruppe M fitted it obviously rests on the scuttle panel which was annoying as it squeaks and knocks etc which did get irritating. So from this point of view the ARC gets the thumbs up as it doesn't come into contact with the scuttle at all.

Right, from a volume point of view in vtec the volume is pretty similar they're both loud. Out of vtec I'd say the arc is louder giving nice induction noise from 3k onwards.

The tone however on the ARC Intake is far nicer than the gruppe m. Although the gruppe m is very aggressive on cross over I found the tone its self abit dead. Hard to describe really just a bit flat imo. However the ARC gives a lovely deep sound and does sound like an old school Honda.

HP and figures wise the ARC gives marginally better midrange power and the Gruppe M gives better top end power. But is this something you'd notice or care about in the real driving world? Well I wouldn't anyway.

In a nutshell the ARC imo is far superior from a noise aspect. Plus jdm points y0!

Hope this helps.

delsoljon86

Advanced Member
Thanks argument settled I've found a new arc filter and I wanted some feedback before purchase. No issues with heat soak you think!?

Chrismartin

Advanced Member
delsoljon86 said:
Yours second hand or did you buy it new!?

Second hand mate. They've been discontinued quite some time now iirc (2009 ish) may be wrong on the year tho.

delsoljon86

Advanced Member
I MAY have found one new says its in stock and they have confirmed it so I'll buy it and wait until they tell me other wise

p1tse

Advanced Member
Think I read somewhere that the filter needs cleaning quite frequent on arc ie something like every 2k miles and changed every 10k?

I'm surprised tegiwa hasn't made an teg-arc :)

Chrismartin

Advanced Member
Patch_teg said:
Think I read somewhere that the filter needs cleaning quite frequent on arc ie something like every 2k miles and changed every 10k?

I'm surprised tegiwa hasn't made an teg-arc :)
Hha! Don't give them any ideas!

Chrismartin

Advanced Member
delsoljon86 said:
I MAY have found one new says its in stock and they have confirmed it so I'll buy it and wait until they tell me other wise

Right do you new air box or filters? You can get the filter replacements. But they're costly.

RichA

Advanced Member
You can clean the foam filters with itg cleaning kit, and it gets its cold air from the wheel arch, apparently if it is to believed the spinning wheel creates an area of low pressure and that's where it takes the air from.

Chewy

Advanced Member
Personally I'm biased, Love my ARC intake and I prefer it to the likes of GM intake/Short rams, but what other intakes have over the ARC is the fact they're not constucted of welded Aluminum...Which as 99% of ARC owners will know, is that the welds will inevitably fail.

This is due vibrations on the mounting points, effectively shaking the box to bits.

The sound may be awesome, but it doesn't sounds so good when it's sat on the shelf in the garage waiting to be fixed.. haha.

Once I get it re-welded I'll be reinstalling it with some special dampening bolts to try and prevent it from happening again...but we shall see.

Dispite this, I'd buy one again in a heartbeat, Echoing what @Chrismartin said, These are known to be better with low-midrange power (albeit 'marginally') but just where our cars need it the most.

As for the filter maintenance, Seeing the price of new replacement ones, I'm just bloody happy they're washable filters...

Kenz

Advanced Member
You can source the replacement filters from rhdjapan I believe.

My arc has a crack down one of the welds that I need to get re welded, the bolts also seem to have a habit of vibrating themselves lose over time.

delsoljon86

Advanced Member
Chrismartin said:
Right do you new air box or filters? You can get the filter replacements. But they're costly.
sorry mate only just seen this new air box itself