ARC small problem - big headache!

dotty

Advanced Member
Hello :D

I check my engine over once a week for any potential issues.

This week I had a chirping noise in the bay, upon inspection it would appear one of the brackets for the ARC has snapped, they were rubbing together hence the 'chirp'

This is what one of the brackets looks like.

Just a basic right angle bracket.

This is what the snapped one looks like;

The problem with this is that the little screw that is securing the snapped bit of bracket to the box is threaded, so it is just spinning!

This is what it secures to (inside of the box) - sadly it is not just a bolt but some kind of circular metal thing with a thread.

I have tried to grip it with some pliers but it is no good, I think I will just drop the box in with TGM in the morning, hopefully they will be able to weld the bracket together also.

Bloody cars - good job it is not my daily!

On the plus side it is giving me the chance to clean the filters!

TimB

Advanced Member
Dotty, yes they suffer due to the vibrations and no rubber to absord it, mine split on the top of the box, but it was ann easy weld.

dotty

Advanced Member
I have already had that problem Tim and it has been welded at the top so all good there, my problem at the moment is the snapped rear bracket and not being able to get the nut off to free it!

I am sure uncle Tom will work his magic, quite tempted to get a couple of brackets fabricated at the same time.

SPIT_FIRE

Advanced Member
How do you clean the filters? I have the same but im not sure what detergant to use. Arc are back in business now, so i was thinking i'd just order some new ones, but wanted to see how they clean up first.

dotty

Advanced Member
How do you clean the filters? I have the same but im not sure what detergant to use. Arc are back in business now, so i was thinking i'd just order some new ones, but wanted to see how they clean up first.
With this stuff.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_180914_langId_-1_categoryId_165660

Had it left over from when I had a Gruppe M - this stuff works well :D

dotty

Advanced Member

rinse off ten minutes after applying the cleaner.

she bleeds!

Leave to dry naturally then spray on the oil :)

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
That looks like the most frustrating bolt known to man! lol, how awkward is that!

TGM will probably just drill it out and replace.

dotty

Advanced Member
Fixed!

Perks of the job ; I popped in to see some mechanics today who helped me out :)

He even made me a couple of spares!

One thing I could not sort was the spinning bolt issue, I had to use some mole grips, I then refitted the new bracket with a spring washer to stop it spinning.

All back together and started up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=it9rqtG_CsY

I gave the throttle a little squeeze and it is solid, I shall monitor it but I think it will be fine as it is also supported by two other brackets :D

Marshall-P

Advanced Member
Sorry to hear you have had another issue with the ARC Stu. Good to see you managed to get parts fabricated.

dotty

Advanced Member
It's all groovy now, I still maintain its the best intake out there :)