Arch liners - who's trimmed theirs or is running without

dave c

400hp K20
As the title says really...

I have just fitted a set of new wheels and the arch liners are rubbing on the tyres

I think the main reason they are rubbing is i've worm away some material over the years and now with the new J's arches they don't sit quite the same. Hard to explain in text but basically the remaining bits hang down lower than they should.

I'd just run them as they are and let them wear out but as the wings are fibreglass i don't want to risk damaging them so...

A quick fix would be to take them off and run without but...

1. its winter
2. they are there for a reason

So I was wondering if anyone was running without arch liners and just how messy does it get up in the arches and the engine bay?

Or has anyone trimmed the arch liners to remove the outer edge?

I think ideally I would have 80/90% of the archliners still on the car but with the outer edge trimmed back

And yes back to my previous wheels is an option xthumbsup and no, raising the ride height isn't xthumbsdown :xhappy: :xhappy:

any thoughts, examples or general musings around the topic would be much appreciated.

Thanks

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
An old friend of mine had an arch liner missing on his civic for about 1 month whilst waiting for a replacement.... It was caked in crud. :( Don't think I would want to run the risk of something flinging up and slamming the underside if the wings personally. If it doesn't get used every day, and its relatively mud free near you (im down a horrible lane) then would be ok I suppose until a modified version of arch liner is designed by your good self ;) lol

davidpingu

Advanced Member
It's road salt I'd be concerned about. All of the box section beneath the wings will slowly rust even with arch liners. By not running you're speeding up the process.

It might sound a bit extreme but could you not get some sort of aftermarket liner made up to give some added clearance??

Fahadl786

Advanced Member
What material are js wings made from?

Edit: just noticed youve stated fibeglass. Should be okay. You can maybe try to make your own arch liner and cut to size. Local scrapyard job. Do not run no liners, big mistake. Mate of mine had an ek and passenger side liner was missing and ended up having to buy a new fender as it rusted through luckily the rest was fine.

dave c

400hp K20
Awesome, cheers lads, glad i asked.

Right I think i'll just sling the old wheels back on and deal with it in the new year when I have a little more time.

Sounds like custom liners it the best option - anyone got a second hand set for sale :xgrin:

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
I've removed both my front arch lines as I scrubbed through both of them during trackdays and I would honestly advise you not too, the mess in the engine bay is incredible, and while not an issue for me, if the car is being dailyed rust would be an issue.

As a result, I have a new set coming from Japan via Steels as we speak :)

bennn

Advanced Member
My last EP3 had the liners trimmed around the edges to accomodate larger wheels (I'm guessing) as it was standard I stuck in a set of standard ones. Didn't look too dirty in there when i removed them so trimming may be a good option for you.

TyperItr

Advanced Member
Would it be possible to drill 2 small holes in the areas that rub, put a zip tie through it and hook it to some part of the frame of the car inside behind the liner, even if you have to link a few zipties to reach, then just tighten until st the correct height from the tyre

mike.williams

Advanced Member
dave c said:
You got any shots of your handiwork?
Best i can manage dave, ignore the curbed Volk. It still pains me. The furry bit is the insulation

I had the camber and ride height all set, i would get minor rubbing from the front. I could see where the rubbing was only on the arch lining not the metal wing. So i began trimming away the rubbed marks. Id drive the car and then keep trimming until no more rubbing, i actually only had to cut one of the rivet locators off. The metal rivet tab was then bent up. Obviously that doesnt matter to you because of the js fenders

This resulted in a 255/40 fitting and zero rubbing on track.

Heres the fitment

Hope this helps

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
Wingnuttzz said:
I've removed both my front arch lines as I scrubbed through both of them during trackdays and I would honestly advise you not too, the mess in the engine bay is incredible, and while not an issue for me, if the car is being dailyed rust would be an issue.

As a result, I have a new set coming from Japan via Steels as we speak :)
One is around £60, other is around £90, can't remember which is left or right.

Plus I've ordered new clips etc, gets expensive quick

Rob.

Advanced Member
Mike, what wheel offset an camber are you running to get 255's under standard wings if you dont mind me asking ?

Dave.. Will try an get a pic of mine as the outer edge is cut out with some other plastic riveted back on, hard to explain without a pic
This is on the race car as I keep the inner arches due to the AEM filter under the headlight......and lots of wet races this year !!!

mike.williams

Advanced Member
Rob. said:
Mike, what wheel offset an camber are you running to get 255's under standard wings if you dont mind me asking ?

Dave.. Will try an get a pic of mine as the outer edge is cut out with some other plastic riveted back on, hard to explain without a pic
This is on the race car as I keep the inner arches due to the AEM filter under the headlight......and lots of wet races this year !!!
I run a 17x9 +40 with around 3 deg camber. Federal rsr run the widest ive seen

Rob.

Advanced Member
Cheers Mike ;)

Just thinking about what size to use for racing next year :)

Rob.

Advanced Member
Dave few pics of the chopped out inner arch if it helps....

As you can see the arches are rolled with the 2 front tabs cut off, I've just cut a strip of 2mm plastic that's pushed up to the wing with a few rivets holding it in place..
Stops water an dirt / gravel / grass etc (you get the idea :) ) reaching the filter so works for me ;)

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
My passenger side front are ripped to shreds. Andy on Ebay wanted a few bob for a replacement. Fairly certain they're around 200-300 notes new from Honda.

Rob.

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
My passenger side front are ripped to shreds. Andy on Ebay wanted a few bob for a replacement. Fairly certain they're around 200-300 notes new from Honda.
I asked Honda last year for a price an they said.... basically there isn't any even in Japan an would have to be made an I seem to remember 200 to £300 per side was mentioned! !