Arch Rolling?

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
Hi all,

gone to fit my Rota's onto the new teg and the catch at the rear quite bad!

ive got it booked in for arch rolling tomorrow, will this cure it?

on the rear there is a about a 2cm gap between the inside of the arch and the wheel..

the front the gap seems similar but it doesnt catch as much? can you arch roll on the front too?

oh and are there any negatives to arch rolling? :D

cheers

here's some pics that may help:

here is the front wheel:

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Could risk cracking the paint, the rear arch is double skinned so its not just one piece of metal that's trying to be folded, but two. I've seen lots of people get it done, but ther is a possibility it could damage something, or highlight a previous repair, in which case its going to get a bit more expensive. Have you got camber adjusters on? Coilovers? You could adjust the geo, or higher/ stiffen it slightly to counter the effects.

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Personally I would change the wheels for a different offset. I might be cheaper in the end.

Rolling the rear arches could create more problems as James Says. We discussed this at Japfest last weekend. The paint is incredibly thin on these cars. I'm not saying it can't be done but IMPO I wouldn't get it done. What is the offset of the wheels?

Chewy

Advanced Member
Arch rolling is something I'll need to look into sooner rather than later.

My wheels are 17x8 et 35, they clear the front no problem but they do catch on the rear when I have a passenger in the back or something weighty in the boot...Or hard cornering the momentum is enough to make them scrub.

Since had a FRSU, and now have 1.5 negative camber on the rear and the same thing happens unfortunately, I don't really want too much more camber so my only option is to roll the arches.

I have a little bit of rush on one side that I need to get sorted before I do them though so I'll have the paint shop do it all in one go.

Just out of interest, what's the most negative camber on the rear someone would run, I don't want to ruin handling just for a set of wheels I like, I certainly don't want it to be visually noticeable...

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
this is not what i wanted to hear...

garage is reluctant to raise the car anymore as they said it would adversely affect the handling.

rear camber is -1.5 i think.

the car had a full respray 2 years ago so i dont anticipate there being any rust, but i dont want to be cracking the paint etc.

its just frustrating as the old teg had these wheels fitted on fine, albeit that was on buddyclub n+ coilovers where as this is on yellowspeeds...

MrRy

Advanced Member
I bought some new daily wheels and 215 width tyres as apposed to rolling the arches. as Jimmer said it's double skinned so not a thin arch to roll.

Get it raised mate. Mine was that low when Dave set it up on Yellowspeeds but needed it raised 10mm. It still scrubbed after that, but now with my 6/8mm spacers off and 215 tyres, it rarely scrubs on the back on the road even on a soft setting like 6/8. Still annoyed me though as on track on the hardest setting on my 225 tyres it still caught, so I'm going to have my car raised more in the near future.

End of the day, scrubbing will affect your enjoyment of the car - it did and sometimes still does with me. Even if it affects handling performance, so what. :)

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
MrRy said:
I bought some new daily wheels and 215 width tyres as apposed to rolling the arches. as Jimmer said it's double skinned so not a thin arch to roll.

Get it raised mate. Mine was that low when Dave set it up on Yellowspeeds but needed it raised 10mm. It still scrubbed after that, but now with my 6/8mm spacers off and 215 tyres, it rarely scrubs on the back on the road even on a soft setting like 6/8. Still annoyed me though as on track on the hardest setting on my 225 tyres it still caught, so I'm going to have my car raised more in the near future.

End of the day, scrubbing will affect your enjoyment of the car - it did and sometimes still does with me. Even if it affects handling performance, so what. :)
well i have got 225 on the rears mate and dave said he really doesnt want to raise it anymore!

i want it an inch higher at least then it will only scrub on speed bumps i guess.

Shortstuff

Advanced Member
Maxvr6 and my self have both got rolled arches.

I got mine done after lowering my car on Spoon Springs and have 17x8 ET38 Evo Wheels. They scrubbed badly when I had the Evo tyres on 235, seemed fine with 215 but was always concerned and do one day want to put 225 tyres on.

My inner lip was just layed with filler, it all cracked and fell off. I wont lie i was pretty mortified but the key thing was there was no damage to the visible paint as this was not full of filler thankfully and we heated it up enough for it to bend happily.

I simply then got in the arch and painted it all with stonechip paint and all was well.

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
Shortstuff said:
Maxvr6 and my self have both got rolled arches.

I got mine done after lowering my car on Spoon Springs and have 17x8 ET38 Evo Wheels. They scrubbed badly when I had the Evo tyres on 235, seemed fine with 215 but was always concerned and do one day want to put 225 tyres on.

My inner lip was just layed with filler, it all cracked and fell off. I wont lie i was pretty mortified but the key thing was there was no damage to the visible paint as this was not full of filler thankfully and we heated it up enough for it to bend happily.

I simply then got in the arch and painted it all with stonechip paint and all was well.
as mine has had a full respray i am fairly confident that it will be fine.

but, i dont have the money to spend fixing any paint issues or more importantly i cant be with any hassle it will make

i will try with the camber and height raise for now

Shortstuff

Advanced Member
Lukeyboi89 said:
as mine has had a full respray i am fairly confident that it will be fine.

but, i dont have the money to spend fixing any paint issues or more importantly i cant be with any hassle it will make

i will try with the camber and height raise for now
If the guy heats it up properly. You should be fine.

You can get stonechip paint very cheap for inside the arch

Mebz

Advanced Member
Take it to area motorsport.

First they will check for filler (simple magnet jobs) and if all is good will start the arch rolling process.

I took mine there, when they checked it, all it needed was the bolt hole cutting back a bit.

miki1212

Advanced Member
just get it done, will be cheaper than changing your wheels, will it cure the problem? you wont know for sure until its done.... i read sumone is going for 9.5et22 rears here soon, and you think you have problems lol...

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
Yup that's where it's going in the morning.

And upon closer inspection tonight, it's only the rear drivers side that rubs, as it's sits lower than the passenger there! I've had new coil overs so I can't see why this side is lower, the coil overs themselves are set to the same height..

Anyway I've raised that side for now so that it won't rub on way to garage. I hope it's not a faulty coil over....

jammy02

Advanced Member
Oddly enough ive been researching this since yesterday afternoon.

Same issue.

I think what I might do is run 7.5j on rear. 8j on front. Should clear I hope!!

Shortstuff

Advanced Member
jammy02 said:
Oddly enough ive been researching this since yesterday afternoon.

Same issue.

I think what I might do is run 7.5j on rear. 8j on front. Should clear I hope!!
Just get your arches rolled. You'll be relieved once done

spooke

Advanced Member
A bit off topic, but what wheel setup actually fits without any modification, that is wider than standard?

Chewy

Advanced Member
spooke said:
A bit off topic, but what wheel setup actually fits without any modification, that is wider than standard?
Depends on what suspension set up you have to be honest.

But 17x8 et48 ( or higher offset) sits really nicely on OEM or Mugen (10mm drop only)

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
mike.williams said:
Luke a car will never sit level.

Just adjust the that corner height
Ah, just the man I wanted to hear from! They have increased the camber which has helped quite a bit, but still not perfect and knocks occasionally.

I was seriously considering just fitting 215 tyres to the rear to remedy this.

So as your quote above, You don't think it will have a significant adverse effect on the handling if the rear drivers side coil is set to an around an inch higher than the passengers side and both fronts?

Cheers